JIS screws vs. Phillips-head Screws

I recently learned that Jap bikes use JIS screws that look just like Phillips-head screws, but they are actually different.  I purchased a set of JIS screwdrivers, and they seem to work much better.  For instance, on the carb bowl screws that always end up with buggered heads from the Phillips-head driver camming-out.

Just thought I'd pass this along.

Does anyone know how long ago they started using the JIS screws?

LOL!!!  Maybe this is where I learned this!  I just got a chance to use the new drivers I purchased after I read that, but I forgot where I heard it!

I'll admit, I too used std philips on JIS fasteners for much of my wrenching life. I now have a set of Vessel JIS drivers from RRR Tool Solutions. The right tool for the job makes things go easier. ?

I never knew this. Hmm..learn something new everyday...if your not careful. 

I will look at getting a set of them.

I was recently thinking what kind of specialty tools would be good to have for bike maintenance...think I have most standard `must have items` or should have items any way.

Torque wrenches, impact driver, speed handle, etc. 

Was considering making a few small, cheap, metric sockets that have permanent attachment for cordless drill.

I hate those screws. I replace them with Allen heads before they strip out. No chance in stripping an Allen out unless you're using the wrong wrench. Plus they are usually easier to get out.

I've used Standard screwdrivers on JIS screws. I can usually never get them out unless I use a long shanked screwdriver to make it easier.

• Like 1

I have some JIS, but before that the best way I found was use your shortest screw driver and hold the carb in one hand and the screwdriver in the other and force it together as hard as you can then turn the screwdriver

Even before I found JIS I never had a problem

I refer to that as `summonsing the demon`...lol

I have some JIS, but before that the best way I found was use your shortest screw driver and hold the carb in one hand and the screwdriver in the other and force it together as hard as you can then turn the screwdriver

I do the same thing, except with a long screwdriver. It seems like you can push harder and then it with less effort than a short one.

Not to get off topic, but what kind of truck do you drive?

I was coming back from Maine last week and I think it was in NH or Eastern MA where I saw a grey/slate F150 with "HONDA" on the back window in white letters with a DEP sticker above and an Amsoil below it. Dunno why but it made me picture it was you, #nohomo.

I do the same thing, except with a long screwdriver. It seems like you can push harder and then it with less effort than a short one.

Not to get off topic, but what kind of truck do you drive?

I was coming back from Maine last week and I think it was in NH or Eastern MA where I saw a grey/slate F150 with "HONDA" on the back window in white letters with a DEP sticker above and an Amsoil below it. Dunno why but it made me picture it was you, #nohomo.

I have with the longer one but don't particularly need it.

And I drive a 94 gmc with the 6.5 Detroit.

My uncle just have me this the other dayImageUploadedByThumper Talk1407493770.286989.jpg

And daily I drive a 99 civic.

Funny you mention it because my buddy's dad drives a slate grey newer f150 or 250 maybe with a "ride red" sticker in the back window....

The fun part about that method is pulling the screwdriver out of your palm!

I hate those screws. I replace them with Allen heads before they strip out. No chance in stripping an Allen out unless you're using the wrong wrench. Plus they are usually easier to get out.

I've used Standard screwdrivers on JIS screws. I can usually never get them out unless I use a long shanked screwdriver to make it easier.

+ 1 on this swapping them to Allen head is the best option. Or a hex head where you can. So much less hassle in the long run.

I guess it kinda looked like that lol,

I've never stripped a JIS using a Phillips, only dealt with stripped ones from someone who had no idea. What summoning the demon was

Actually, when one `summons the demon`, that means to use ones every ounce of strength plus a little more...(think I originated this one)

Not to be confused with `spot torque`, which refers to tightening a fastener, and pulling as hard as you can until you see spots.