Heading out to Tecate

Ill be heading out to Tecate ( La Cienega Redonda). I'm wondering if any of you know of a landmark to hit. I'm taking my old faithful Xr650L.

I assume you are heading east on the "free" road from Tecate. After you pass Loma Tova ( Pemex, OXXO, ETC. ) you still have several miles to go. Just past the village of Chula Vista and just before the highway makes big sweeping right, the turn is on your left. There is a Cienaga Redonda sign coming from the east, but I am not sure if there is one heading west.

If you get to the on ramps onto the toll road you have missed the turn .

Edited by TecateRay

It is mandatory! And if you bring a copy, make sure it is in color. I have been hassled for not bringing original.

Agree, they seem to want the original now days.  Not a deal breaker if all you have is a copy, but expect to be hassled a bit about it.  I had a copy for a boat and to top it off it belonged to someone who wasn't even with us.  The guy at the border made an issue of both, but ultimately he was cool about it.  

I always give them the expired registration first.  Sometimes they reject it and then I dig the current one out of my wallet.  If you ride it across, I don't think they ask for any paperwork.

Funny you mention that, I've never been stopped riding across at Tecate on both my "Non-Street Legal" 450x's but almost every time when they are in the back of my truck.