Charging Issue

Hey guys, I'm a new poster here. I've been on here reading ever since I got my bike though. I'm having a bit of a problem and I'm at a dead end here. My new battery, that is less than a month old lost enough charge to start my bike. I had it charged up and it started. I also had the battery tested by two different people and both said it was a perfectly good battery. But they both said when I bring it in initiially that it is discharged(under 12v). After charging the battery at the store and waiting a couple of hours, the battery does not discharge itself. Only when it comes off the bike.

The reason I think there is a problem is because the battery sits at around 12v static on the bike. Right now it's actually a little under 12v. On a good day it will be about 12.2v. When I start the bike and rev it up it doesn't goes up above 12.4-12.5. I've never seen it go to at least 13v which I'm assuming it should be.

I took it to a shop and they tested everything they could test and they said the charging system is working; however, it is not putting out what he would like to see. He tested if the bike is drawing any power when off, and it is not. The alternator is working perfectly. The only thing he said it could be is the regulator/rectifier but that he is "not sold on it."

I do not have any accessories connected to the battery. I'm not sure if this matters but when I installed my drc tailights and turn signals in the rear, the bike would not start(this was quite some time before this problem started). I later figured out it was a bad fuse. After replacing the fuse I haven't had a problem with that since. Also, my front right turn signal bulb keeps going bad(2x) so far. Right now it is dead I just haven't replaced it again because I'm just going to remove the front turn signals.

• Like 1

You have electrical gremlins in the bike i had a car (VW)that way once--sorry for your pain--Was it that way stock?? Is the dealer any help ie"Warrenty?? Welcome BTW where you at in Az?? I'm in Bouse Az in the winter..w/o my bike i might add!! ? :facepalm: someday

Edited by USMCVietVet

I bought it used and it is out of warranty. I'm assuming it wasn't that way stock, but then again I never started testing everything until my new battery died. I live in Tucson, AZ. I know for dirt bikes that the charing system doesn't put out much. I'm just not sure what the crf250l is supposed to put out. But I just don't think that the voltage it's putting out right now is normal.

Yea that's what I thought. Hmm... :banghead:  The only thing I can think of is my regulator rectifier is bad although the guy at the shop said there's no definitive way to test it. And after looking at the service manual, the last thing it says is "Open circuit or loose connection in the wire harness." I'm wondering could a loose connection in my front turn signal or tailight be causing this? I can't see why it would because I know people who completely take out their turn signals without a problem.

• Like 1

I dead short can be anywhere--Hard to find and a Pain in the butt--I never did find all the shorts in the VW Baja bug i mentioned earlier--finely put a battery shut off for when it was going to sit for more than a day?? Good luck tho! Might try the retifier if it isn't to spendy?? Others may post better solutions that i have later--Lots of knowledable people here -- ?

Edited by USMCVietVet

How's the wiring system look and the connectors? Is there any wires that are pulled tight, is there corrosion inside the connectors? The day I brought my bike home I started looking at everything I could look at, one thing I noticed is the connectors are not weather proof. If I had any problems that's the first thing I'm checking. As far as your bulb goes do you have the right wattage?

• Like 1

Well there are a lot of wires but the wires that I can see seem fine. The battery terminals are fine.

I just got back from a long ride with it(used about half the tank) and when I got back the static voltage(bike not on) was down to 11.2

With the ignition on(engine not on) the voltage drops to 10v. The fan is also running. It won't crank over at this point. Now my battery is "dead" again.

I'm seriously considering buying a new regulator/recitifer since the shop told me everything on the charging system is running perfectly.

You say they're not weather proof.. well I did ride my bike through a good amount of water a while ago. It wasn't higher than the pegs but water was going everywhere. Not sure if this could cause the problem I'm having.

Thanks for all the help so far!

• Like 1

What a meant to say on the plugs, over time they can corrode. You can get them wet as much as you want cuz electricity will follow the lest resistive path. Keep us posted on what you found out. I'm curious on what's causing you problem

So I finally figured it out myself. It turns out that the yellow wires coming from the alternator have continuity with the ground terminal on the battery. This means I have a bad alternator. I'm not sure why this would happen, especially since it's a honda and it only has 4000 miles on it.

Maybe someone here can give me some insight on what would cause something like this and what exactly this means so that it doesn't happen again?