Sign in to follow this  

2001 WR 250F Gray Wire

I finally got a WR 250F about a week and a half ago and so far I have removed the snorkel out of the air box for just a little more air flow and now I'm trying to do the gray wire mod. So last night I took the seat off along with the gas tank and shrouds and started digging around through all of the cables. i watched a YouTube video about an 2006 WR and that didn't help me at all since mines a 2001. After about an hours worth of research later i thought what i needed to find was 2 wires instead of the big bundle like the YouTuber said. Those 2 wires being one gray and the other black with a gray stripe. And from what i was reading told me i just had to remove the dust ring, unplug the gray wire, tape it all up and ride. I removed the dust ring and tried to pull the wire out, that didn't work, so i asked my dad, who has had more experience with just about everything than i have, for some help and he dropped a bomb shell on me saying that what i was trying to remove was a permanent fixture. So really my question is, is my dad right and I'm looking at the wrong bundle or if there's a easy way to remove it and he was wrong? Ill probably be check in back up every 4 hours at the latest so if i forgot something or you have a question please comment.

YouTube Video that i watched but wasn't any help

I'm 99% sure the Youtube vid you watched is correct for your '01 WR.

The mod is the same for all WR's.  The only difference is pre-'07 and post-'07 have the wire in different locations.

If no one else weighs in you should take a fresh look at that video and see if you missed anything. 

This mod should be a piece of cake. I suspect when you figure out what you missed you're gonna kick yourself. (Been there)

• Like 1

The FAQ on here was written for that model year:

http://www.thumperfaq.com/gray_wire.htm

My 2002 model was as shown in the pics in the link I posted.

You also don't just yank on the wire to remove the connector from the plug (unless you want to break it), but need to use a small screwdriver or something similar to release the connector from the plug.

Read that FAQ a few more times.

Your dad was probably thinking, "Don't mess with it, just ride it."

Edited by YZEtc