Sign in to follow this  

Kxf250 transmission

Just wondering why kawi's don't have separate gear oil to engine oil like other bikes i.e honda etc...

Just wondering why kawi's don't have separate gear oil to engine oil like other bikes i.e honda etc...

Yeah, why is Honda the only bike that uses separate gear oil and engine oil?  :p

Maybe they did but Honda is the only one who bothers now days , I can't see any real world advantage and nor can anyone but Honda it appears

I like it. Idk, just makes it easier to rule things out when something goes wrong. It's also nice for oil changes.

I think its a good thing having seperate engine and gearbox oils as you can run different oils, you also dont have the clutch contaminating the engine oil.   

I think its a good thing having seperate engine and gearbox oils as you can run different oils, you also dont have the clutch contaminating the engine oil.   

Oil screen and oil filters bro.

Well If the clutch side is sealed then you can run mineral oil with no slipping and then run synthetic on your tranny and engine, which is better for wear and tear. 2 things would happen, your engine oil would last a very long time, and then your clutch would see great benefits in terms of lasting longer. Also too you coul change your tranny oil with cheapo stuff every weekend and then use really high quality oil in your engine because of the longer service intervals. I think its genius.

I think it's over rated , decent oil in one single hole and change it every 3 rides , isn't so hard

Modern clutches apart from fast riders on ktm450 with its finicky be ville washer don't have issues with clutch slip , oh I forgot the recent crf 450 with its weak 4 spring clutch does ......and it uses a separate oil i assume ?

Edited by mog

Run Maxima semi-syn it is safe for wet clutches, very important when buying oil for a bike that shares oil!!!!

Only Honda agree with you and we have no real world problems , that says I'm correct

I use fully synthetic in all my bikes in last 5 years and so do all my friends ; 100s of hours and not one clutch problem