Sign in to follow this  

Most reliable boot to wear?

I recently had an incident at a hare scramble where I came up on a lapped rider and locked up the brakes trying to avoid hitting him.  While doing so, I planned on hitting the left line to go around.  When I tried to redirect, the front went, but the back didn't. The back end slid out and I slammed into a tree splitting the two lines.  Unfortunately for me, my foot acted as the airbag, but my Gaerne SG10s caved in completely and I basically busted my foot open (think of stepping on a grape and watching it explode). 

Now I've lost faith in my gaerne's and I want to change boots to a more reliable, PROTECTIVE boot that will prevent this from happening again.

Just wanna get ya'll's input on what's worked and hasn't for you.  I'm all ears.

I recently had an incident at a hare scramble where I came up on a lapped rider and locked up the brakes trying to avoid hitting him.  While doing so, I planned on hitting the left line to go around.  When I tried to redirect, the front went, but the back didn't. The back end slid out and I slammed into a tree splitting the two lines.  Unfortunately for me, my foot acted as the airbag, but my Gaerne SG10s caved in completely and I basically busted my foot open (think of stepping on a grape and watching it explode). 

Now I've lost faith in my gaerne's and I want to change boots to a more reliable, PROTECTIVE boot that will prevent this from happening again.

Just wanna get ya'll's input on what's worked and hasn't for you.  I'm all ears.

Freak thing, you are expecting too much of any boot. Stuff happens.

• Like 4

Only you can prevent yourself from getting hurt....maybe you shouldn't be threading needles between inexperienced riders.

That being said Fox Instincts don't allow over extension of the ankle, maybe try those on. 

• Like 2

Freak thing, you are expecting too much of any boot. Stuff happens.

I understand that.  It's not something I've ever heard of happening to anyone I know.  I'd like to think I'm a rather smart rider and make good choices.  I didn't even notice him until I made a 90 and got midway up the straight.  He just checked up way earlier than I thought and I was trying to compensate for it.  Unfortunately, it didn't work out in my favor :(

However, I don't think the top of the boot should cave in completely like that.  Shouldn't they be more sturdier and stronger than that?  The boot literally pancaked, and that's a huge issue.  But like you all have said, maybe it's because I've never been in that situation with another boot.  For all I know, they could have had the same result.

I've used Thor, A*, and now gaerne boots....

Love my current gaerne sg10s.... super flexible, super comfortable and the sole wear is off the hook!

Never used sidi boots as I've always thought they were over priced.

My TCX 2.1's have held up better than any other boot I have ridden with. I jumped on the A* bandwagon (the buckles were a PITA to snap on every set of A*'s I have ever owned) for a while and they did the job but decided to wear my old TCX pro's just to see the difference and bought a pair of the Pro 2.1's as soon as I got home. The comfort is outstanding! They also last forever. 

My Gaerne's are pretty good too but the TCX's feel better on my foot. 

Edited by BDubb106

I've smashed the crap out of my second gen 10's, and they have help up always. They are incredibly sturdy. I think the inner booty is a great aspect of the boot. I smash trees all the time during hare scrambles, and my foot and the boots have held up. Tech 10s are awesome. Takes some getting used to though. You have to alter how you shift a little bit. Not too flexible.

Sounds like the side of the boot hit. Isn't most of the protection especially from impacts build more front to back? Sounds like as you said a freak occurance. Seems those  Gaerne's  are some of the most popular boots on here.

I'm not very hot on the Astar tech 10s.  The way they curve and don't straighten up are a big downside.  Has anyone ever worn any Forma boots?  I've heard good things about them but I've never gotten the chance to wear them.

The TCX boots are by far my favorite, my old pair lasted me 4 or 5 years and the soles still weren't gone.  I only replaced them cause the buckles wouldn't stay latched.

Sounds like the side of the boot hit. Isn't most of the protection especially from impacts build more front to back? Sounds like as you said a freak occurance. Seems those  Gaerne's  are some of the most popular boots on here.

Not the side, the actual top of the boot behind the steel toes.  I'm not quite sure how the boots even bent that far but they had no damage, which makes me think they were made to give? It sounds stupid, I know.  But that's the only conclusion I can come up with.

I'm not very hot on the Astar tech 10s.  The way they curve and don't straighten up are a big downside.  Has anyone ever worn any Forma boots?  I've heard good things about them but I've never gotten the chance to wear them.

The TCX boots are by far my favorite, my old pair lasted me 4 or 5 years and the soles still weren't gone.  I only replaced them cause the buckles wouldn't stay latched.

I have owned Forma Dominators for the last 3 years. I bought them to replace my much hated pos Alpinestars tech 8s. I absolutely love my Formas, and if they wear out, I will be getting a pair of Preditors

new tech 7s are amazing. i have last years to compare with and they fixed all the issues; buckles, ankle wear, rubber gator is gone. they are comfy and relatively affordable.