2012 450x stock leak jet question

One thing I'd add is that unless you ride in varying conditions, you don't need all the do-dads such as power bowls.   Once a carb is dialed in, it's going to perform the same unless you ride under different conditions (temp or altitude).

Jim.

Edited by Jim Dettman
  • Like 1

• 7 months later...

Seat, tank with shrouds attached, right side panel, muffler, bottom subframe bolts all get removed

Loosen rear carb boot clamp, tilt up subframe, and tighten it in place to stay up with the pivot bolt.

Dead engine whack the throttle, and with a flashlight, watch to see that it sprays all the way into the head, NEVER hitting the slide.

If it hits the slide, your adjust the linkage screw under the throttle wheel cover.

Same for it it is too late, you must adjust so it just barely misses the slide.

If it squirts for longer than 1-1.25 sec, your leak jet IS TOO SMALL

If it squirts out all crappy and not in a stream, you nozzle is corroded, and must be cleared with very fine steel wire (like from a wound guitar string)

If it squirts too short, you have too large of a leak jet, a hardened pump diaphargm, or you have a corodded pump cavity.

You should inspect the diaphragm to make sure it is a 'late' version with the very short rivet. If it has a long rivet, replace it with the correct one.

To re-install the air boot, spray some silicone lubricant on the boot, loosen the front carb boot so you can 'tilt' the carb if needed, and prepare for an excersise in patience.....

I use a very long blunt tire iron to push the boot back on the carb, once the subframe is down.

Lots of light (outside maybe) makes it easier.

EDIT

• Like 2

• 1 year later...

watch to see that it sprays all the way into the head, NEVER hitting the slide.

If it hits the slide, your adjust the linkage screw under the throttle wheel cover.

Same for it it is too late, you must adjust so it just barely misses the slide.

If it squirts for longer than 1-1.25 sec, your leak jet is too big.

Will this cure off idle bog? I'm a little confused

Thanks krannie