Sign in to follow this  

Blew my piston rings... Looking for advice on Big Bore options

Hey guys, 

I'm dealing with ongoing issues with my dizzer - been burning over a liter of oil every 1000km's and it looks like my piston and rings are shot and my cylinder will need to be honed. My valves and guides are also burned/toast, so I'll be getting new valves, new guides, and remachining the cylinder head again. 

Given the costs and labour involved in this, I'm considering just jumping for the big bore kit. I want to know from you guys.... Which is better?

Athena

https://www.thumpertalk.com/shop/Athena-Big-Bore-Cylinder-Kit-435cc-4-00mm-Oversize-to-94-00mm-12-2-1-Compression-p4080126.html

Cylinder Works

https://www.thumpertalk.com/shop/Cylinder-Works-Big-Bore-Cylinder-Kit-434cc-4-00mm-Oversize-to-94-00mm-11-3-1-Compression-p4057838.html

Obviously since the Athena is so much more expensive I'm assuming it is better.. But is it really worth the extra cost? I'm pretty broke right now so looking at another $2000 dumped into my bike is a bit tough to swallow so I'm trying to save wherever I can without being too frugal. 

All input is very much appreciated!

CW BB kit is a tried and proven product with good customer support.

BB kit can be purchased cheaper that your link if your trying to save money, http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Cylinder-Works-Big-Bore-Kit-434cc-Suzuki-DRZ400-DRZ-400-E-K-S-SM-2000-2014-/321474585013?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item4ad960e1b5

Not sure if the TT shop will price match, you could ask.

Edited by Black_DRZ
  • Like 2

I bought the cw kit last year...I have over 1000 miles on it this summer. Not one problem, I highly recommend it.

• Like 2

Thanks very much for the feedback! Good to know CW is a quality product. 

Agree wholeheartedly on the CW kit. Quality product, noticeable improvement, and I'm not just saying that, and way better bang for your buck than the Athena.  :thumbsup:

• Like 2

Cylinder Works and Athena Big Bore kits are of equal quality, it's just that the Athena is way over priced,...

Athena claim that their water jacket is larger, but in reality it's the same as Cylinder works,  just the jacket is shaped a bit differently with the Athena...

Having a good quality piston in their is important, vertex or JE are equally very good...

• Like 2

I just (not even 2 days ago) installed a CW kit. It was my first time breaking into a motorcycle engine, it isn't too bad. I also removed the middle layer of the base gasket which I have read bumps up the compression from 11:3 to about 12:1. I haven't had any issues yet, but Only have about 30 miles on it. For my "build" I had to replace the timing chain and all guides, TT mcct, cyl head checked out, gaskets and the CW big bore kit. All together it was about $750 or so. You may not have to get the head checked out or the timing components, so that would make it quite a bit cheaper if you don't have to.

• Like 1

Well it's broken in then, change the oil and filter, now ride. :thumbsup:

Haha!!! I will, I gotta wait till the rain stops a little, we are getting some weird weather right now!!

• Like 2

I just (not even 2 days ago) installed a CW kit. It was my first time breaking into a motorcycle engine, it isn't too bad. I also removed the middle layer of the base gasket which I have read bumps up the compression from 11:3 to about 12:1. I haven't had any issues yet, but Only have about 30 miles on it. For my "build" I had to replace the timing chain and all guides, TT mcct, cyl head checked out, gaskets and the CW big bore kit. All together it was about $750 or so. You may not have to get the head checked out or the timing components, so that would make it quite a bit cheaper if you don't have to.

It's best to have all the top end components checked for wear upon disassembly ..IMO ..

A must do if you got some miles on the engine , fitting a big bore kit and increasing the compression ratio...