Sign in to follow this  

Average 125 smoker dB?

I downloaded an app for my IPod, and I'm just wondering what kind of dB your average 125 smoker puts out. I have an FMF Fatty and PowerCore 2 and my app read 88 dB from 1 meter behind while I revved it as high as possible... What's the average?

I downloaded an app for my IPod, and I'm just wondering what kind of dB your average 125 smoker puts out. I have an FMF Fatty and PowerCore 2 and my app read 88 dB from 1 meter behind while I revved it as high as possible... What's the average?

That is really cool! I don't know the dB rating of my son's 125....but I know it's load as heck even with stock, freshly packed silencer. So much so that despite it's sweet sound when on the pipe....there are other times when it annoys the heck outta me :(. I am going to encourage him to download the app and try this. I'll post back the results ;)

That is really cool! I don't know the dB rating of my son's 125....but I know it's load as heck even with stock, freshly packed silencer. So much so that despite it's sweet sound when on the pipe....there are other times when it annoys the heck outta me :(. I am going to encourage him to download the app and try this. I'll post back the results ;)

Thanks! For sure tell me what he gets off his! I wanna know if I'm allowed to race the local enduros...

Thanks! For sure tell me what he gets off his! I wanna know if I'm allowed to race the local enduros...

Which app did you use? We installed two different ones. "Decibel 10th" and the other simply " decibel meter". I'm not sure of the accuracy of these things, but if we are going to compare results we should be using the same app. May take me a while as I'll likely wait until we go out for a ride as to not PO the neighbours....

Did you test your's in an open or confined area? Not sure if that matters.....

Edited by Fattonz

88db is about as load as the average TV commercial. I doubt your bike is that quiet. Unless you use a real Db meter, all you can do with and app like that is compare readings you get on it (one sound to another). Even then, I doubt its' accuracy.

Most measurements are taken at a 45 degree to the rear of the bike, three meters back.

Keep in mind, a high frequecenty sound is very directional and directly behind your bike can be ear shattering while off the the side, not a problem. This is why a 4s, with a typical lower frequency sound, seems worse though actually less damaging to the ear.

Which app did you use? We installed two different ones. "Decibel 10th" and the other simply " decibel meter". I'm not sure of the accuracy of these things, but if we are going to compare results we should be using the same app. May take me a while as I'll likely wait until we go out for a ride as to not PO the neighbours....

Did you test your's in an open or confined area? Not sure if that matters.....

I used "dB Volume" I just did it in my back yard. It was 64 dB idling and 88dB wot. I'm thinking ill try a few others now...

Ok, I said the heck with it and did it anyway. I realize although perhaps not accurate it was fun to do. So here's what I did. Exactly 1m directly behind the exhaust. I took one reading at idle and one at full rev. I used the app "Decibel 10th". Here were the results.

Honda crf230:

Idle 89

Full rev 97

Kawasaki kx-125:

Idle 94

Full rev 104

• Like 1

Ok, I said the heck with it and did it anyway. I realize although perhaps not accurate it was fun to do. So here's what I did. Exactly 1m directly behind the exhaust. I took one reading at idle and one at full rev. I used the app "Decibel 10th". Here were the results.

Honda crf230:

Idle 89

Full rev 97

Kawasaki kx-125:

Idle 94

Full rev 104

Hmmm interesting. I think the mic is off on my iPod... My idle is around mid 60's on 3apps I tried, and high 80's on the same 3apps... I'm assuming my mic is off cause it doesn't sound right to me.

Hmmm interesting. I think the mic is off on my iPod... My idle is around mid 60's on 3apps I tried, and high 80's on the same 3apps... I'm assuming my mic is off cause it doesn't sound right to me.

Definitely seems a tad quiet:

db-levels.jpg

Maybe not... Motorcycle is at 90... Car horn is 110... I have sure as hell heard car horns over my bike ;)

Hmmmm, yeah but TC 2's aren't exactly known for being overly quiet.

You heard car horns over your dirt bike.? Hmmmm, there's no cars where I ride. You're not one of them there "Hood rats" are you? :lol: Just kidding :)

Edited by Fattonz

Hmmmm, yeah but TC 2's aren't exactly known for being overly quiet.

You heard car horns over your dirt bike.? Hmmmm, there's no cars where I ride. You're not one of them there "Hood rats" are you? :lol: Just kidding :)

Haha no. Some "good samaritan" thought he would scare me and a buddy out of the local pit. Raced me and my buddy all the way down the old entrance dirt road in his jeep blaring the horn the whole way... We led him into the biggest mud hole I've ever seen and waved as we left. :)

• Like 2

Haha no. Some "good samaritan" thought he would scare me and a buddy out of the local pit. Raced me and my buddy all the way down the old entrance dirt road in his jeep blaring the horn the whole way... We led him into the biggest mud hole I've ever seen and waved as we left. :)

Karma.

How stuck did he get?

Karma.

How stuck did he get?

I have no idea, I still heard him revving the piss out of it an hour after loading up the bikes about 2 miles away. Funny how he was running pipes louder than ours isn't it?

• Like 2

I have no idea, I still heard him revving the piss out of it an hour after loading up the bikes about 2 miles away. Funny how he was running pipes louder than ours isn't it?

The sweet sound of a stuck idiot.

• Like 1

Remember that your phone mic has cut off set to some dB level, depending on phone manufacturer.

Edited by kuufin