Neighbor complained about loud bike

OK this was many years ago. I had a Suzuki PE 175. A pretty quiet bike. We lived on a dirt road and even as a kid I knew not to make a nuisance of myself on it. Rode past my neighbor and he flagged me down. Told me not to ride that loud ass bike past his house. All I said was "wait right here, I'll be right back". I'd never done this before, but I took the silencer off. Let's just say a 2 stroke without a silencer is something to behold. Totally unbearable sound. I calmly rode back down to his house and said "now THIS is loud ". Funny, he never mentioned it again...

Edited by DR.billZ
  • Like 8

Did that once... Only backwards. Racing my bike down the street some guy waved me down and said my bike was waaay too loud to be riding down my street I said you know, your right! I looked at my silencer and it was gone! He didn't believe me so I said I'll come back and show you how it normally sounds... He said fine, so I was back an hour later, after finding my silencer in the ditch and we had a good laugh about it.

• Like 1

My neighbour complained. Shes a old woman thats just always really cranky. There's a piece of Road that splits our houses. I was riding down it, then from her side of the fence she Blasts me with a air horn. Almost lost control of my bike.

Seems fair to me..........meh

Matter of perception or some people just can`t stand to see someone else have a good time.

I had a neighbor complain about my mini-bike w/ 5 HP Briggs...noise and riding on sidewalk. I was maybe 10 yrs old.?

I would sure dread living in a city again. I have a few neighbors now but they don`t care, one neighbor even gave me permission to ride his property on my atv, but the bike makes a little more racket...he might frown on that.

Going to check into a OHV (?) land that is about 50- 60 miles North of me. It`s where people used to ride all the time years ago but now some type of 2yr permit is required.

I had a neighbor deliberately drive from a mile down the road since they're my closest neighbors and complain her husband was trying to sleep at 2 PM. This was on a 125, which you can barely hear from half a mile away since the sound doesn't travel that far. Maybe they should have just closed the windows like a normal person would've.

At one of my old houses there was a trail around the lake to my friend's house. It went behind one house and across the lawn of another. Pretty nice neighbors lived in both houses. They both said I could ride through their property as long as I didn't tear anything up. Never did since it was a CR80 and the thing didn't have enough torque to disturb sand.

I think perception because the sound of someone banging through the gears on a two stroke has always sounded pleasing to me..lol

SOME, sport bikes sound cool with loud exhaust too but that`s really not for me.

Now..I have to admit, that I used to have a neighbor who had a VW baja bug with one of them straight cans out the top/center...used to wake me every morning...the noise might not have been the disturbing part, so much as it was time to get up and get ready for school.

I like her style. Loud dirt bikes suck!I would like to do that to people with loud car steros too.

loud dirtbikes i go either way on, i do like when people get lost i just turn on my bike and rev it and they find they're way back, but I like being unnoticed out in the trail. I also like to let everyone know im comin tho too so idk its tough

I have neighbors who complain about the lawn mower, the weed wacker, the air broom, and just about anything else they perceive as environmentally unfriendly.  What’s strange is they complain about everybody else yet when the illegals show up in a 20 year old truck with no muffler to mow their lawn, everything is cool we all just have to understand.

Your story is heartwarming!  Years ago bike exhausts had baffles which would occasionally come out….  either by accident or maybe on purpose ;-)

OK this was many years ago. I had a Suzuki PE 175. A pretty quiet bike. We lived on a dirt road and even as a kid I knew not to make a nuisance of myself on it. Rode past my neighbor and he flagged me down. Told me not to ride that loud ass bike past his house. All I said was "wait right here, I'll be right back". I'd never done this before, but I took the silencer off. Let's just say a 2 stroke without a silencer is something to behold. Totally unbearable sound. I calmly rode back down to his house and said "now THIS is loud ". Funny, he never mentioned it again...

yeah my neighbors in my residential neighborhood are total losers he's like old retired 80 year and owns a driving range and always out outside playing with his nerdy ass golf clubs while I'm tearing up and down the street on my 450 for hours at a time, and sometimes he's like Cameron could you please stop riding for a moment we are in our backyard trying to teach are granddaughter to swim and the noise is really bothering us, I just call him and old fag the roost the shit of him that will teach homo to try to enjoy his own house.

I have neighbors who complain about the lawn mower, the weed wacker, the air broom, and just about anything else they perceive as environmentally unfriendly. What’s strange is they complain about everybody else yet when the illegals show up in a 20 year old truck with no muffler to mow their lawn, everything is cool we all just have to understand.

Your story is heartwarming! Years ago bike exhausts had baffles which would occasionally come out…. either by accident or maybe on purpose ;-)

i couldn't tell you how many times the home owners association have showed up at my house and I just always say my parents are not home

At my house in Denver, after snow storms, often times, me and a neighbor would ride his quads all over the cul-de-sac, sometimes or up to an hour. Not a single neighbor complained. ? In fact, I've never had neighbor that had the nads to whine about any of my bikes. These days, unless I'm just being inconsiderate, I just smile and ignore complainers. We have pond next to our house that the HOA put up no trespassing or fishing signs. I could care less, fish anyway and the people on the otherside of the pond try to remind me. I just smile and wave. ?

Funny story Bill.

yeah my neighbors in my residential neighborhood are total losers he's like old retired 80 year and owns a driving range and always out outside playing with his nerdy ass golf clubs while I'm tearing up and down the street on my 450 for hours at a time, and sometimes he's like Cameron could you please stop riding for a moment we are in our backyard trying to teach are granddaughter to swim and the noise is really bothering us, I just call him and old fag the roost the shit of him that will teach homo to try to enjoy his own house.

If true, there is soooo much wrong with you and this run-on statement.
  • Like 1