Sign in to follow this  

96 xr250l

I'm going to look at a 96 xr250l dual sport

Owner claims a newish top end with a high comp piston, oversized tank and some lower gearing.

Anything to look at closely on this model?? I know in 96 they changed some stuff for the better?? What is one worth in decent shape??

I want to ride a dirt bike everyday to work, in the bush, FSRs, single track, rain, heat snow forest fires etc.... and before I put down big cash(for me) for a dr650, I figure I might try out a cheaper option before committing.

Here's the bike...any input on the matter would be greatly appreciated

Cheers

325FD950-7F77-4AA9-A9F3-5F99E9CC776B.jpg

High compression piston is a no go, especially without an oil cooler.  You could have the piston shaved to stock compression.  It's an extremely capable bike.  I had to add an XR250R oil cooler which was a big job.

High compression piston is a no go, especially without an oil cooler. You could have the piston shaved to stock compression. It's an extremely capable bike. I had to add an XR250R oil cooler which was a big job.

How was it a big job adding a cooler??? Plumbing into an oil circuit, or the mounting and routing???

Are high comp pistons known to fail?? Or cause ancillary components to fail??Or just generate more heat which degrades the oil quicker??

Cheers