Sign in to follow this  

early / late model hp differences?

Looking at getting a drz400s. I've read that from 2004 on back the hp was around 40 and from 2005 on up was around 48. I don't mind used but was wondering if 8 hp will make much a difference? I've found some pretty clean pre 05's with low miles but was worried if it will haul my 230lbs around alright? The bike will used strictly for back roads riding. No off-roading. I've got a KTM 250XC for that.

The only power difference you will find with the DRZ, is between the different models. The S/SM model will put about 32hp to the wheel. The E and "kick" models will put about 40 hp to the wheel, IIRC maybe a tad less.

Edited by Wisconsinite762

Looking at getting a drz400s. I've read that from 2004 on back the hp was around 40 and from 2005 on up was around 48. I don't mind used but was wondering if 8 hp will make much a difference? I've found some pretty clean pre 05's with low miles but was worried if it will haul my 230lbs around alright? The bike will used strictly for back roads riding. No off-roading. I've got a KTM 250XC for that.

I'm no expert , but I'm sure more members will chime in . As the owner of an 06 S , I believe the hp numbers are closer to 34 hp . If you were to get an E model which came equipped with a more free flowing exhaust and a pumper style FCR carberator I believe their hp numbers may have been closer to 40 . But the E was also not street legal . It can be fitted with the proper equipment and road registered in some states . But not in others . So do your homework before purchasing one. Another way around it in states that don't allow it , is to buy one that has already been done and titled in another state . Once a title is assigned I believe your good to go . But do your homework first. An S model will haul your fat arse around. , it just won't be the quickest or fastest . Gear down big guy.

Sent from my iPhone using Thumper Talk mobile app

• Like 1

Not sure where you got those numbers, but like everyone above me is saying, it's more like 33 or 34 stock. Bigbore kit, FCR, cams, 3x3 and full open exhaust will get you up 10hp from there, plus or minus, and although that doesn't sound like a lot, it's around a 25% increase which is rather significant. Changing gearing up or down will also improve that, but unless you do a full stroker, that's pretty much where you end up.....

• Like 1

Not sure where you got those numbers, but like everyone above me is saying, it's more like 33 or 34 stock. Bigbore kit, FCR, cams, 3x3 and full open exhaust will get you up 10hp from there, plus or minus, and although that doesn't sound like a lot, it's around a 25% increase which is rather significant. Changing gearing up or down will also improve that, but unless you do a full stroker, that's pretty much where you end up.....

+1.M8...when you engine produces more power it will more easily support taller gearing....burnout.gif

• Like 2

Well, if its yellow, we all know that the yellow bikes have a little more HP than the others...hehehe =^).

• Like 2

All the S and SM models like all above have mentioned are 32/34 no more and weigh in 320/330. The E is like 39/40 on the earlier models and weighs in at 280;) Sounds weird but my bike came in weighing 230 wet with 51 hp at the rear wheel. I think the color is what added the HP and lessened the weight by 100 lbs hehe ;)

• Like 1

All the S and SM models like all above have mentioned are 32/34 no more and weigh in 320/330. The E is like 39/40 on the earlier models and weighs in at 280;) Sounds weird but my bike came in weighing 230 wet with 51 hp at the rear wheel. I think the color is what added the HP and lessened the weight by 100 lbs hehe ;)

230 lbs ? What did you do , get a replacement frame made of Unobtanium and fill your tires with Helium ?

• Like 1

Well, if its yellow, we all know that the yellow bikes have a little more HP than the others...hehehe =^).

The Orange ones have even more HP and lighter than the Yellow hehe

• Like 1

230 lbs ? What did you do , get a replacement frame made of Unobtanium and fill your tires with Helium ?

Nope I changed the plastics colors hehe

From this 

PIC_0701.JPG

to now this

10154533_747234805298126_799332496389866

Nope I changed the plastics colors hehe

From this

PIC_0701.JPG

to now this

10154533_747234805298126_799332496389866

Well , as the saying goes,

"That's like comparing bananas to Oranges " lol

• Like 2

Well , as the saying goes,

"That's like comparing bananas to Oranges " lol

Or Grapefruits to Oranges LMAO

Or Grapefruits to Oranges LMAO

Is that a fat joke. ?

LMFAO

I like to think Bananas are more aerodynamic. When I tie one down on top of my rack bag with a cargo net , I always make sure it's in the proper alignment to keep us streamlined and have the lowest possible drag .

• Like 1