Sign in to follow this  

2004 Wr250 Jetting :/

I purchased the bike used, and it appears to have all factory settings.  The need was stock with it at the 3rd setting, it had a 400 main, and a 35 pilot and 3.0 slide.  The air screw with 1 and a 1/2 turns out.  Bike ran ok but puked oil out the tail pipe, but has yet to foul plugs. 

Figured I'd buy the JD Jet Kit and try it out.  Kit came with a white and a red needle a few mains and a 32.5 pilot.  I through in the recommended 410 main and 32.5 pilot, and their white needle.  Ran like complete crap.  Would bog hard off idle and had no power.  Called JD said to try the red needle and the 3rd knotch and adjust the air screw to see if that helps.  Bike ran MUCH better, but had a weird idle and had less lower end.  So I spent all day messing with the air screw, the idle, the needle position and the mains they gave me.  I was never really able to get the bike to run well. 

I've been reading about the 4.0 slide...I called Town and Country in Hamburg, NJ and they said it was on back order and was something like 140 bucks :jawdrop:   Called a local honda store and they have the slide off of a 2001 Cr250 for a little shy of 80 bucks.  Is it worth the investment?  I googled the crap out of it and appears to be the same carb and aparently comes with the 4.0 so their stock part is the one I need...

Anyone fighting this or have fought this with any suggestion. 

its 2004...the thing is over 10 years old...you may be chasing your tail with jetting,,, rings, worn piston, maybe low compression, seal leak with trans oil sucking in, spark plug, dirty powervalve, ignition and any number of other little stuff compounding the issue including a jet issue, too much assumption that all else is perfect.....

I would do a top to bottom inspection/test/ re-part/ clean up/ tune up,

its a 10 year old dirtbike going on 11...most likely ridden in dust/dirt/mud/sand conditions.....

Ya once you know the engine is fine (refereshed and checked) then look at jetting. You could buy a used beat up carb (eBay) off either the 01-03 Honda CR250R models because those TMX carbs are similar to yours. Get it home and transplant the slide from the Honda to the Husky. From 04-07 the Honda CR250 carb became like the TMXX with the kidney bean shaped slide vice the flat one like yours. 

Edited by shrubitup

First thing here is to make sure it's actually jetting related.  You should leak test the engine to make sure you don't have any air leaks.  You should pull the reeds if you haven't to make sure they're in good shape.  I assume you have a good top end/rings.  After you confirm those then I would move onto the jetting.  An odd or erratic idle and throttle response issues of idle can easily be an air leak.