Sign in to follow this  

Drz400 top end problems.

I don't know what's going on but my bike tops out at like 67 mph. I know something is going on because I know a couple of people on drzs and they can do 90 easy. I was thinking maybe the guy before me tuned it a certain way or something. Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers, Andrei.

Would you like to tell us a little something about your motorcycle.  Like year and model, mods, gearing and what is happening when you try to go fast.

So I have a 2006 drz 400sm, with about 10k miles. It has the 3x3 mod, titanium yoshi slip on, ohlins rear shock. I'm not too sure about the gearing but I can find out more.

Basically I feel like first n second are good they pull really well. Thisrd feels really really short to me and so is 4th. In 5th gear in goes really low in rpms and it start the climb and tops out at around 63.

Also, sometime when I'm really gassing it it's like is delayed or "weak". It doesn't take off like it should in 3rd n 4th.

I was thinking maybe it's the clutch cable that's worn out and it doesn't full that well, but then again that shouldn't have anything to do with me topping out at 63 mph.

I dont know if it can also have something to do with the cam chain. I have the after market cam chain tensioner and the bolt is preety deep into the cam chain and I still hear some chain slapping around in there.

I hope i helped you guys to help me out :)

I said "clutch cable" I actually meant the throttle cable".

What country are you in?  US model? California model?

With standard 15 front 41 rear gearing, it should go about 90.

With the motor not running verify the throttle opens the carb all the way.

You are probably going to have to take the carb off and report the jet sizes, Pilot, needle type (OEM or aftermarket), clip position if after market, main jet size.  

Verify no debris restricting the main jet.

Air cleaner dirty?

Have you had the bike long?  Is this a new condition?

I'm not too sure about the gearing but I can find out more.

Not complicated mate......Count the number of teeth on the front and rear final drive sprockets..it could be just geared ridiculously short..

MCCT and the bolt is deep?  how deep post picture of it!

that can be a very bad indication of chain or slider wear and mess the valve timing pretty bad.