Race vs Trail Bikes

I'm getting a new bike soon and I'm planning on racing and hitting the local tracks. That says race bike. The flip side is I ride with my family and so they're going slower and not getting too technical. That says trail bike. I've heard that maintenance does not differ between trail bikes and race bikes IF you are riding them the same i.e. rev limiter or not. Is this true and is it complicated/ expensive to put in some extra cooling devices to keep it from overheating? Or should I get the trail bike and add some race mods on it? Thanks for helping!

I'm getting a new bike soon and I'm planning on racing and hitting the local tracks. That says race bike. The flip side is I ride with my family and so they're going slower and not getting too technical. That says trail bike. I've heard that maintenance does not differ between trail bikes and race bikes IF you are riding them the same i.e. rev limiter or not. Is this true and is it complicated/ expensive to put in some extra cooling devices to keep it from overheating? Or should I get the trail bike and add some race mods on it? Thanks for helping!

You could go both ways : get a mx bike and add some extras to make it trail worthy (flywheel weight, 18 inch rear rim, gearing, oversize tank, etc) or you could get a trail bike like a wr250 or something along those lines and add some things for racing but In my opinion getting a racing bike and making it trail worthy is a better road..

Adding oversized radiators is not a complicated process

• Like 4

We don't really ride techy stuff mostly just fireroads and maybe some singletrack. That seems like a good idea. I was going to get  a CRF 250X but they're so hard to find for a good price compared to a 250R. What about maintenance?

Ofcourse maintenece on a 2 stroke will be a little bit more constant but 4 stroke maintenance costs more IMO and as far as valves and timing goes that gets I to expensive stuff. Drop a valve and get ready to take out all your savings. 2 strokes are more steady maintenece but not as expensive. I would stick with a 2 stroke but ofcourse if you take care of the 4 stroke like you should then nothing bad or expensive should ever happen to it. I heard the 250x have bullet proof engines. Can't say from personal experience but if you get a good deal on one snatch it and don't look back. Look at ktm's they have a lot if bikes made for trails and racing combined. Good selection of 2 strokes and thumpers

Like the post above sai about ktms the ktm350 would be awesome bike IMO and I would love to have one.. But if your looking at 250 fourstrokes go with a race bike. If your riding fire roads you'll be fine maybe a bigger tank that's it and single track you'll be fine if your going for a 450 I'd put a fly wheel weight on it forsure

Go with mx bike, get something like KTM or yamaha if your looking for reliability and ease of maintenance(IMO). I ride my 450 in all conditions with out mods specific to terrain. If your handy with a wrench you can do most maintenance at home and with a great community like TT and YouTube it's not as bad as ppl make it's seem sometimes. Full rebuilds are a dependent on your riding or if you go by the book. My 06 has had one valve adjustment and no top end.

Edited by Dexter42

Go with mx bike, get something like KTM or yamaha if your looking for reliability and ease of maintenance(IMO). I ride my 450 in all conditions with out mods specific to terrain. If your handy with a wrench you can do most maintenance at home and with a great community like TT and YouTube it's not as bad as ppl make it's seem sometimes. Full rebuilds are a dependent on your riding or if you go by the book. My 06 has had one valve adjustment and no top end.

Thanks. Seems like a race bike is a good choice. KTMs are wayyyy too expensive. 2 grand more than a regular honda over here.

KTM may be $2000 grand more but your going to spend that much to make any other bike perform that way.  Although it is a fun process to build a bike and motor up to what you want it is almost double the cost in the long run.  Spend the extra $2000 now and have no regrets.  If buying new be pushy and ask sales guy to throw in skid plates and hand guards and riding gear etc.... If you don't like the deal leave and come back in a couple days...Repeat process and you will break the sales guy down and get the most for your money.  Don't buy the first time you go in.  Let them know your serious about buying but don't make a deal that first time unless it's screaming bingo.  Good Luck!

Buy a crf250x, set it up for you, and when you want to hit the mx track just adjust the suspension. About 10 years ago I only had one bike so it did enduro, mx, and trail riding. Most of the time I wouldn't even bother taking the lights and shit off for mx races lol

• Like 1

I'd look for either a KTM 250xc or a YZ 250. Both bikes will have plenty of power for the track, the KTM will probably be more versatile out of the box but you can always add parts to the YZ to make it more trail friendly. Plus you can run some lower gearing for trails and use 3rd 4th and 5th at the track.