Sign in to follow this  

Dumped er in the dirt

SO i was out playing around in the dirt, doing some tire spinning and getting a little sideways; then too much gas and clutch and layed it over pretty hard.  The bike is ok except I bent the shit out of the bar end on the throttle side, glad i put the case shields on.  Also tweaked the knee a bit, not bad.  Anyway I have been looking at the bar end and think i need to replace it.  there is a pretty good gap between the throttle grip and bar end now and it is tweaked despite my bending it back.  Is there anything special i need to do to replace that thing?  It did not seem like it wanted to just slide off with loosening the screw on the end.

Getting sideways in the dirt is fun if you end upright, not so much when you flub it.  I am still learning and trying to find my abilities.  I found that I need much more practice ;)

Anyway comments and suggestions are appreciated.

• Like 1

SO i was out playing around in the dirt, doing some tire spinning and getting a little sideways; then too much gas and clutch and layed it over pretty hard.  The bike is ok except I bent the shit out of the bar end on the throttle side, glad i put the case shields on.  Also tweaked the knee a bit, not bad.  Anyway I have been looking at the bar end and think i need to replace it.  there is a pretty good gap between the throttle grip and bar end now and it is tweaked despite my bending it back.  Is there anything special i need to do to replace that thing?  It did not seem like it wanted to just slide off with loosening the screw on the end.

Getting sideways in the dirt is fun if you end upright, not so much when you flub it.  I am still learning and trying to find my abilities.  I found that I need much more practice ;)

Bar end weights are held in with rubber sleeves. Just loosen screw and wiggle it out. If it just pulled out a bit loosen screw an wiggle it in. Then tighten.

Get rid of the bar ends and put on some bark busters....they'll protect your hands better in the event of another "flub". btw......those things are sort of common when riding in the dirt, you just need to get more practice in avoiding getting hurt.  :lol:

• Like 6

Get rid of the bar ends and put on some bark busters....they'll protect your hands better in the event of another "flub". btw......those things are sort of common when riding in the dirt, you just need to get more practice in avoiding getting hurt.  :lol:

The fitting of hand protector bars is a great idea mate....most guys do this mod....... :thumbsup:

• Like 3

Good advice. I will do that, and keep practicing. You can't get better without a few spills I believe, but I ll try and keep the shiny side up for a while ;)

• Like 2

Hey guys, any recommendations on good bark busters for the drz that are not too spendy, but good quality?

Hey guys, any recommendations on good bark busters for the drz that are not too spendy, but good quality?

Bark Busters the brand? Most people run the Cycra Pro Bend Hand guards (Non CRM Version) or the Zeta Hand guards. Cycra and Zeta are the same bend with a different plastic guard. Oh and run the triple clamp mount. That will run you around $120 though. If you want some cheap Chinese ones. http://www.ebay.com/itm/WHITE-HANDGUARD-BRUSH-HAND-GUARDS-DIRT-BIKE-STREETFIGHTER-MOTOX-MX-MOTOCROSS-/261136038816?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3cccebbba0&vxp=mtr

• Like 1

I've got some acerbis ones with an aluminum bar that the plastic mounts too.  Works well for me, they have all kinds of green marks from brush and gouges from the dirt.

• Like 1

Fair quality would have been more appropriate to say...

Tusk D-flex from rocky mountain ATV very good quality and a lot cheaper than most. I would not run cheap Chinese E-bay specials at all

• Like 3

I bought some and after some fiddling around w connectios, they fit perfectly. Very nice and solid it appears

The D-flex

Don't waste your money on cheap ones.  Buy the Cycra Pro Bends and be done with it.  I had the Acerbis Rally Pro's for a year or two and they didn't hold up all that well.  I've had the Cycras on for 2-3 years now and they are worth every penny. 

• Like 1

Side benefit: bark busters deflect loads of wind from your hands, keeping them warmer in cold weather or when they're wet. I have had good luck with Acerbis. The bike has tumbled hard a couple times, include over the high side onto Canadian shield rock with no damage. Sure does land with a thud though heh.

• Like 3