2008 XR650L FMF Q4 Question

For the FMF Q4 Exhaust, are there different models based upon attachment mechanism? I'm wondering if there's a band around the muffler or is there a tab welded to the muffler to be bolted behind the seat?

I've seen pictures of both, but was wondering if FMF upgraded at some point. I do not want a Q4 with the band style.

If you have the style with the welded tab, when did you purchase it (is it newer than the band style)?

Thanks Thump. Anybody else ever seen one with a tab for an XRL? I just think it looks cleaner without the band.

If you slide the band forward and bolt it to where stock muffler bolts it will be hidden behind side panel. Thats what I use as I cut off the extenisons on frame where stock signals mounted so CRFX fender fit better. My signals are in tailight

The band may not look as nice in some ways..........but,,it won`t break off the muffler like some mufflers i`ve seen with tabs..and as said you can slide it ahead and not see it..on my original "Q" muffler the band was slid towards the front and i liked that..but with the Q2 exhaust i have now i move it back where FMF wants it mounted....all FMF Q  series were supposed to be mounted at the signal light with the included hardware and alloy spacer..

B

Edited by brianhare

The bamnd may not look as nice in some ways..........but,,it won`t break off the muffler like some mufflers i`ve seen with tabs..and as said you can slide it ahead and not see it..on my original "Q" muffler the band was slid towards the front and i liked that..but with the Q2 exhaust i have now i move it back where FMF wants it mounted....all FMF Q  series were supposed to be mounted at the signal light with the included hardware and alloy spacer..

B

Yes no matter what mounting point you use if you crash and it falls on that side you WILL bend something! I did not like the frame extenisons on mine when fitted the CRFX fender and with signals now in tailight did not want them. So had to use the stock mount! Also did not like that muffler was SO long so shortened it buy 4in. Can post pics if you want.