Sign in to follow this  

2 stroke heavier than 4 stroke?

How can a 2013 250 smoker weigh more than 08 450 what makes the 2 stroke so heavy? Or am i getting the wrong info

wrong info the 450 would be roughly 18-20 lbs heavier than a 250 2 stroke

what bikes are you talking about?

In race trim, they should weigh about the same. I'd be surprised if every bike on the line at state and national level races weren't at the minimum weight. 

In race trim, they should weigh about the same. I'd be surprised if every bike on the line at state and national level races weren't at the minimum weight.

Huh? 20lbs is 20lbs. If a guy drops 20lbs on a 2t and 20lbs on a 4t, the 2t will still be lighter...

A 250f is coming in around 220lbs stock, a YZ125 comes in at 200lbs...

Huh? 20lbs is 20lbs. If a guy drops 20lbs on a 2t and 20lbs on a 4t, the 2t will still be lighter...

AMA Limit is 190 for 125/250f and 216 for 250/450f, so they can weigh the same. 

AMA Limit is 190 for 125/250f and 216 for 250/450f, so they can weigh the same.

We aren't talking about AMA weight limits. I'm just saying a 250f weighs more then a 125, simple math....

• Like 1

yz 250 227lb wet

2014 yz250f 231lb wet

Edited by 250premixer

Yz 450f 2008 219

Yz250 2013 227

Motorcycle usa .com

Welcome to the wonderful world of dry (lie) weights. OEMs over the years have done the most incredible things to obtain a lie weight. 

First off. You would think that is is just a bike without fluids. But they often don't stop there. It's not just a dry engine, dry forks, dry shock... If they still don't like the figure. They pull off the tires, tubes and grips. It makes for a short and very bumpy ride.

The YZ250 has displayed the same OEM weight since before they went to the aluminum frame. No matter what the bike really weighs, or how much weight they say it gains or loses with this or that new part. Yamaha says 227 and they ain't changin'. 

Edited by shagger

So how am i gonna find the actual weight of these bikes who would have the wet numbers everything on the bike and fluids filled up?

Its very difficult to get the truth about most things in this world and bike weights are no exception.  Recently I had opportunity to ride a friends 250 2t at a local practice. I was switching between my 08 hon 450 and his 250 2 stroke kowasaki. I carry enough speed that the torque spread difference wasnt a big issue for me. What was clear was the weight difference and how it effected the way I rode. The 450F was very one line, stay in the groove , and make no sudden movments. One the 250 2 stroke I was much more dynamic. Bouncing in and out of different lines, cutting corners to the inside, flickable and fun. On the 4 I felt I was on cruse controll. On the 2 it felt like racing.

Later I was standing on side of track shooting the breeze with one of the track officials. She said " whos bike was that you were on? You rode much better on that bike".  Now I dont know if I rode "better" or if I was any faster on the 2 , BUT it was obvious to those watching that somthing was very different. All I can say is it seemed to me to be the weight difference for the most part.

Claimed motorcycle weights are like Bigfoot sightings.  Everyone claims to have one yet no one can produce any proof of their claim.

• Like 2

Its very difficult to get the truth about most things in this world and bike weights are no exception.  Recently I had opportunity to ride a friends 250 2t at a local practice. I was switching between my 08 hon 450 and his 250 2 stroke kowasaki. I carry enough speed that the torque spread difference wasnt a big issue for me. What was clear was the weight difference and how it effected the way I rode. The 450F was very one line, stay in the groove , and make no sudden movments. One the 250 2 stroke I was much more dynamic. Bouncing in and out of different lines, cutting corners to the inside, flickable and fun. On the 4 I felt I was on cruse controll. On the 2 it felt like racing.

Later I was standing on side of track shooting the breeze with one of the track officials. She said " whos bike was that you were on? You rode much better on that bike".  Now I dont know if I rode "better" or if I was any faster on the 2 , BUT it was obvious to those watching that somthing was very different. All I can say is it seemed to me to be the weight difference for the most part.

The gyro on a 450 seems to "add more weight" than the additional weight does. It always surprises me when I get on one. They seem to scream OPEN BIKE!

What bums me out is what the four strokes do to the corners. In a tight bermed corner in the old day people would rail it and gas it. The corner would wear into a nice dish. Since the four strokes became so popular. the same corner on the same track now had a sort speed bump in the middle of the berm. Guys aren't carrying so much corner speed anymore. So the brake the first half of the corner and them gas it to go out piling up dirt in the middle of the berm. I always liked corners like that for the major G you get railing them. Now the best line for a two stroke is to rail the inside in no four strokes land where it is still flat. 

• Like 1

Claimed motorcycle weights are like Bigfoot sightings. Everyone claims to have one yet no one can produce any proof of their claim.

google the specs it's right there on the manufactures website. People get confused because they don't read the wet or dry before the actual amount of weight