Sign in to follow this  

1998 cr125 coolant dumping out of the overflow

So today I went to change the coolant in my 1998 cr125 and when I put the coolant in I mixed it 50/50 with distilled water. I used Peak full strength concentrate Antifreeze + Coolant. ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1407462015.992731.jpg

When I started the bike up a little bit of coolant came out of the overflow and I thought it was normal because I topped it off completely. After about 30 seconds or a minute of warming up it started to pour out. If I let it idle it would stop but it I just was to put around in 1st it would continue to come out. I thought it was just a bad cap. (I haven't had the bike long. About a week and a half.) so I tried my friends cap. He has a 2001 kx125. I told him to fill the radiator up again but he didn't mix it 50/50. He just poured it straight out of the container. (I didn't know that at the time) so after the bikes cooled down and the caps were switched and my radiator filled, I fired it up again and the first bit of coolant came out from being filled but after a minute the coolant started to pour out again. But this time it wasn't nearly as much or fast as before. I don't know much about bikes but I think that I read somewhere that the coolant expands when heated up. So I'm thinking that I have a bad cap because when I used the other cap not as much came out even tho there was more of the coolant mixture in it than before.

Is this correct or am I just missing one big obvious thing that makes me look like a giant goon.

I was having basically same problem of coolant dumping out the rad overflow. The what gasket was blown allowing exhaust to leak into the cooling system, pressurizing it making it puke out coolant. Head gasket fixed it and now it runs better too. Also check when you take the head off, make sure the head isn't warped.

I was having basically same problem of coolant dumping out the rad overflow. The what gasket was blown allowing exhaust to leak into the cooling system, pressurizing it making it puke out coolant. Head gasket fixed it and now it runs better too. Also check when you take the head off, make sure the head isn't warped.

Thanks! I'm gonna order a head gasket right now so it will be here sometime this week. First time I'm doing this. Wish me luck

Thanks! I'm gonna order a head gasket right now so it will be here sometime this week. First time I'm doing this. Wish me luck

Good luck

A head gasket is no big deal. Lots of videos about it on youtube even if you aren't super confident. Make sure you get perfectly straight on the nuts that hold the head on though so you don't strip em out.

Hey did the head gasket fix the problem? Thought I'd follow up... I hate unfinished threads.

Hey man, sorry I'm getting back to you so late. Fixed the head gasket after a bit of drama. I took apart the bike to do the head gasket and found a stripped head bolt! I was not happy. I ordered a set of turbo sockets and pulled that thing off. Replaced all the head bolts with new oem ones and got the bike back up and running. The head gasket fixed my problem 100%. Rode the first half of Saturday but got stopped by rain. Came back out Sunday and had a great day of riding with my friend and his 01 kx125. End of the day I was trying to go up a small hill(I had been doing the hill all day and felt fairly confident with it) I was going up in 3rd gear and all of a sudden the rpms just shot up. I reached for the clutch but by then I was already at the top of the hill in a 12 o'clock wheelie. I jumped off the bike and my father (who watched the whole thing happen) said I flipped from my heels to my head and back about 4-5 times. But to me it just felt like I rolled on my side a couple times. I never passed out and remember the whole thing. Shout out to my EVS helmet that saved my head. I got up immediately and didn't feel much for about the first 30 seconds. Then I felt it. I ended up going to the ER and just ended up with a broken collar bone. But the bike didn't get ad lucky as me. Destroyed front fender, clutch perch, bent bars, bent sprocket, and a couple other things. But in the end, I'm lucky and hopefully the bike will be back up and running before I am