Sign in to follow this  

2014 DR-Z400sm Big Bore Kit info

Hi im trying to find out the best and possibly a list from the smallest to biggest Big Bore kits for my 2014 Drz400sm. I do drive daily but i want more power to hit the track and just to have fun with. I plan on putting on the MRD Z-Pro exhaust along with the FCR 39mm carb. Can someone please help so i can figure out whats the best for me to buy.

IMG_6718.JPG

Hi im trying to find out the best and possibly a list from the smallest to biggest Big Bore kits for my 2014 Drz400sm. I do drive daily but i want more power to hit the track and just to have fun with. I plan on putting on the MRD Z-Pro exhaust along with the FCR 39mm carb. Can someone please help so i can figure out whats the best for me to buy.

I would recommend the Cylinder Works BB kit......434cc with the Vertex piston. A complete bolt-on....easy-peazy. Total proven unit and very reasonable...around $400 on Ebay. Easily the best bang for your buck  :smirk:

• Like 3

I've seen that one but I'd like something with a little more kick to it. I've seen the Athena 440 and also a website I found has 450 462 and a 480 kit. Not sure if anyone on here has done one that big.

athena is too pricey imo.

462+ need a complete engine tear downto change the crank to a stroker.

450 and 480 are wtih 95mm bore which aren't the most reliable.

CW 434 is the best overall...when your crank will hit let go  then upgrade the crank...no need to do it before that.

If you want a really good and fast track bike. keep your DRZ stock and buy a 450mx for the track and put 17'' on it!

• Like 2

I've seen that one but I'd like something with a little more kick to it. I've seen the Athena 440 and also a website I found has 450 462 and a 480 kit. Not sure if anyone on here has done one that big.

The 440 and 434 kits are the same (94mm bore). 434cc is technically the correct displacement but some manufacturers round up and call it a 440. If you want a more kick than a big bore then go big/bore/stroker.

• Like 1

The difference is the amount of lift and timing, as well as the Stage 2 removes the decompressor (used for easier starting).

Stage 2 makes more power in higher RPM (I believe) and Stage 1 is low end power.

Any recommendations against doing a BB kit and cams on a drz400 with 12k km that runs high RPM highway almost everyday?

Ok thanks. Around how much HP would it be if I do the 434 big bore along with the MRD Z-Pro exhaust and the jetted 39mm carb? Any ideas? Who makes the 434 kit?

Banksy , standard the SM makes around 32-33 hp , with a bigbore , FCR 39 , hotcams and MRD , you can make 50 hp . As wisconsinite said , the 94mm is 434cc and cylinder works are a tried and proven product , greg

• Like 4

The difference is the amount of lift and timing, as well as the Stage 2 removes the decompressor (used for easier starting).

Stage 2 makes more power in higher RPM (I believe) and Stage 1 is low end power.

Any recommendations against doing a BB kit and cams on a drz400 with 12k km that runs high RPM highway almost everyday?

Stuwy , just make sure your main bearings on the crank are OK , lots of people have done what you are thinking of , only to have the bottom end let go , greg

• Like 2

94mm bore all the way, anything bigger starts squeezing out gaskets, stage 2 hotcams, MRD pipe and FCR is a proven 46 to 50hp package

• Like 1

94mm bore all the way, anything bigger starts squeezing out gaskets, stage 2 hotcams, MRD pipe and FCR is a proven 46 to 50hp package

Ice Cube big bore is a different cylinder and don't suffer head gasket issues when venturing beyond 94mm bore, but you do pay plenty for it...

http://www.maxrpms.com/category/motorcycle-kits/suzuki/drz400/

• Like 1

Banksy , standard the SM makes around 32-33 hp , with a bigbore , FCR 39 , hotcams and MRD , you can make 50 hp . As wisconsinite said , the 94mm is 434cc and cylinder works are a tried and proven product , greg

Is this with a non-stroked crank? If so that's a lot more power than i was expecting to get from my upcoming build with the above!

Is this with a non-stroked crank? If so that's a lot more power than i was expecting to get from my upcoming build with the above!

Tonnes of threads in TT about this fairly standard build, if the bike was about 34hp at the tread on the dyno, all the bit above will turn this into 46-48 usually, if you use stage 2 hotcams and get the carb correctly tuned, no stroker crank required, yours is a fairly new bike so the crank and bottom end will be fine, Ice Cubes are hugely expensive, the true limit to the bore is the water jacket holes in the head, 94mm big bore is tried and proven, and cheap, under 400 bucks on ebay will land you and cylinder works kits.
  • Like 1