What is worth parting out on a 2005 yz250f?

I have a 2005 yz250f and I took it to this shop for some work and they found out that oil was being Leaked out of a over flow tube and that it would leak out in just 1 lap on a track. If it had the right amount oil in it comes out noticably. The shop said it would be worth it to part it out and but a new dirt bike. The motor runs great with no problems but does not hold oil. The shock was just re done by the shop so was the front forks. So what should I sell and how much should I sell it for?

Edited by BLAKEB179

Find out why its leaking oil thru the over flow...could be as simple as putting new rings on the piston( old rings will let engine gases blow by which raises the possiblity you have alot of crank case pressure which will push oil out)...see what the problem is before you go spend major $ compared to spending a fewbbucks for some new rings...

Edited by deafrider250f

3 reasons I can think of are:

1. over filled

2. excessive blow-by, out of spec rings/piston

3. oil system has been modified

Questions:

How long since last rebuild?  Over 50 hrs?

How much oil is in the tank?

Did it have a mod done on the oil system that could cause the problem?

Have you had the shop do a leak down test?

If leak down is satisfactory and under 50 hrs since rebuild, then I'd look at the oil system to see if its stock.  If not, I'd put everything back to stock, then evaluate.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

The oil is not over filled, if it has the right amount of oil and it is running for about a minute most of the oil drains out of a over flow tube really fast. The tube is connected to the frame by the oil dip stick I just got the bike so I know nothing about the last rebuild.

I think your bike simply has too much oil in it. When it's up to running temp, the oil level in the frame tank should be about 3" below the dipstick hole (I forget exactly how long the dipstick is). That said, I would think that it is not possible for the oil to flow out of the frame overflow tube if the oil is at the correct level.

Let's start from the top... Drain the oil and let's start over. To change oil, you will drain oil from both the frame tank and also from the engine by the shifter. Add a little over a quart if you do not replace the filter.

Edited by BazookaJoe

Wow... Something sounds wrong here. I believe the frame tank holds more than a quart by itself so it shouldn't be possible for the vent tube to blow oil. Is there any obstruction in the valve cover vent tube (large hose running down the LH side of the engine)?

Just to confirm and hopefully this is a silly Q- You did drain oil from both the bottom of the tank and also from the side drain plug just below the shifter shaft?

yes joe, something is wrong here.

it is either:

1) the frame tank is not actually feeding the motor but the motor is feeding the frame tank (but that would run out in short order)

or

2) the engine was never emptied of all the oil (as you point out) and instead of 1.4L the bike now has 2.8L and it is pumping the excess out the overflow.

if there was so much ring blow by that it was pushing oil out (and a huge amount at that) it would hydraulic lock.

imho, it seems to be very clear that the OP has not actually drained the motor and have overfilled it every time.

• 3 weeks later...