Sign in to follow this  

SM rear brake mount vs. S mount

Is there a difference between the two caliper mounts ? I believed there was when I swapped to the SM swing arm . Which I was told required the use of the SM brake system and bracket . But when I've been looking at the Scott's shark fin rotor guard , it's the same part # for street or dirt models. ??? PN 3600

What's up with that. ?

S and SM Calipers  are not interchangeable, different caliper slider.

S and SM Calipers are not interchangeable, different caliper slider.

As I stated , I did the whole SM swingarm swap , which involved swapping the rear brakes . I'm confused as to why the Scott's P/N for their shark fin rotor guard is the same got both street and dirt models . I guess it's a question to ask Scott's customer service .

The rotor is larger, the caliper is different as far as where the brake line connects and the brake line is different as far as the end that connects to the caliper . I run the SM rotor on my dirt wheels , and a Braking wave style rotor on my motard wheels . I really like the sturdy shark fin guard . The SM guard. Is a joke . Fine for the street , but would do nothing for any type of Offroad hit.

Sent from my iPhone using Thumper Talk mobile app

Edited by Masshole DRZ

The Caliper itself is the same but the carriers are different as well as the rotors so I can't see how the part #'s could be the same :/

the caliper isn't the same . Note the routing of the brake line. I've double checked part numbers repeatedly and they are the same. ???

Scott's P/N SFN 3600

Edited by Masshole DRZ

the caliper isn't the same . Note the routing of the brake line. I've double checked part numbers repeatedly and they are the same. ???

I stole a S rear caliper and tossed it on my old SM. Worked for me :D I really didn't steal it I borrowed it :D

I stole a S rear caliper and tossed it on my old SM. Worked for me :D I really didn't steal it I borrowed it :D

I bought a complete SM rear brake system - the rotor for $80 on ebay . The first noticeable difference was how the brake line attaches to the caliper . It comes in at a different spot at a different angle .

• Like 1

I bought a complete SM rear brake system - the rotor for $80 on ebay . The first noticeable difference was how the brake line attaches to the caliper . It comes in at a different spot at a different angle .

But it bolts up and is usable ;)

But it bolts up and is usable ;)

Which brake line did you use. ?

Which brake line did you use. ?

I believe I used the S line, don't remember off the top of my head, was a few years ago.

Is there a difference between the two caliper mounts ? I believed there was when I swapped to the SM swing arm . Which I was told required the use of the SM brake system and bracket . But when I've been looking at the Scott's shark fin rotor guard , it's the same part # for street or dirt models. ??? PN 3600

What's up with that. ?

Rotor guard part number should be the same. It mounts under swingarm so it has no impact on which caliper you are using. There would just be more room for the smaller "S" rotor.

Rotor guard part number should be the same. It mounts under swingarm so it has no impact on which caliper you are using. There would just be more room for the smaller "S" rotor.[/quote

Not so on the shark fin. It is a caliper mount with a rotor guard. All in one . It's 3/8. " thick alum . And the axel passes through it strengthening it all. .

I would call them and ask about that. I have never broke the plastic one and don't plan on dropping between two rocks. Scott's has good CS. They will help you out.

Not saying you did not make it work

But non the less the s and sm calipers are different

Look in my sm thread and you can see the two and the mounts sir by side

I would call them and ask about that. I have never broke the plastic one and don't plan on dropping between two rocks. Scott's has good CS. They will help you out.

You don't have to drop it. Just ride real close to one or ride on a rock and slide off it . Ride in a trench or rut . Deflect one off the front tire or someone else's tire . There's many ways to ding a rotor . That plastic guard is as solid as a rubber spatula . It might deflect small things but not much . What I did to reinforce it some was trace the outline of it and transfer it into a piece if 1/8. " alum. Diamond plate Sheet metal , then bolted that over the plastic to give it some rigidity .ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1407627793.534376.jpg

Edited by Masshole DRZ

Not saying you did not make it work

But non the less the s and sm calipers are different

Look in my sm thread and you can see the two and the mounts sir by side

I tried but boulder find your post or pics .

I tried but boulder find your post or pics .

I'm not quite sure what a boulder find your post or pics is

Lol

But I'm guessing it means you couldn't find the post and thread I was talking about

http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/919053-bronco78s-trail-bike-to-sm-build-what-a-trip-it-has-been/

I'm not quite sure what a boulder find your post or pics is

Lol

But I'm guessing it means you couldn't find the post and thread I was talking about

http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/919053-bronco78s-trail-bike-to-sm-build-what-a-trip-it-has-been/

That's right. , that's what I meant. . I didn't proof read it sorry. . Darn spell check can be comical at times . Yes I couldn't find the comparison pictures. .

Now after looking at your thread I remember reading about your build back when I was doing the swingarm conversion . I like the way you told the story of your build . It was informative and entertaining . I'll be calling Scott's to get the skinny on that shark fin . Before it takes a bite out of my wallet .

Edited by Masshole DRZ