Ressurection YZ426F

Another update!

Front wheel bearings.

Steering stem bearings.

New front rotor.

I had a great riding filled weekend, back up in Dallas. I spent labor day recovering and doing the above mentioned bearings.

The front wheel bearings were done first. No major snags punching the bearings and seals out.

jbfcDE.jpg

Very very nasty! The inside of the hub was coated in mud.

JConzx.jpg

Here are the new bearings chilling out.

qNLkzP.jpg

All done! Also installed my cheap new rotor. The old one had slop where the "floating" rings are fitted.

pSqeF9.jpg

Next was the steering stem bearings.

As you can see, these were nasty as well. The notch e est front end ever. I can't believe it handled as well as it did during the test ride.

i2TnbF.jpg   VWjlCl.jpg  vKxgBt.jpg

i83lc3.jpg   zbES3F.jpg

• Like 1

Here is my method to remove the lower bearing from the shaft. It might look crude, but it works well if you are careful not to bugger the shaft or triple clamp up.

Cut the bearing cage out. Easy.

Ula8He.jpg

Next I cut a relieve in the metal to release the tension. My cutting disk, even when I modified it to be small diameter was too large to cut all the way through without getting into the triple clamp.

5HACms.jpg

So hit hard it a few times with the chisel and you can see in the pictures it cracked, releasing the tension.

WFzlqZ.jpg

Then it is just a matter of fedangling the chisel in a way the pushes the bearing off.

J9cA8w.jpg

0iv0GN.jpg

Then I put the steering stem in the freezer for a couple of hours, added a bit of heat to the bearing and it dropped right on with no force........but wait, I forgot something.....son of a biscuit. I forgot the seal!!!  :censored:  I was mad, but I was able to frantically punch the new bearing off and get the seal on.....then press replay.

9UNg6B.jpg   Vj3CB4.jpg  PYoPg2.jpg

So that is it, I am done with bearings on this bike....I hope. The only bearings I haven't replaced are the rear wheel bearings, they seem ok.

This will be my last update for a couple of weeks. I have a race this coming weekend, and then the weekend after that I will be out of town.

The end plan is to check the valves, replace the timing chain, then pull the engine and do a DIY soda blast on it.....that should be it.

I will also touch up the frame paint to prevent further rust. I know, why not repaint the frame? Well, the majority of the paint on the frame is good, and I know it is better quality than what I can do myself.  Plus, it's a dirtbike! Not a show piece!

Thank you all for the comments. :ride:  :cool:  theslicer, npverhey1, vwcorrado, spartan426, grayshirt, bgoyins,

• Like 2

Looking good man! Gett'n there!

I replaced my steering stem bearings on my 426 during this build too. Boy was that a "fun" experience.

I just got my rolling chassis finished, just gotta build the engine, carb and exhaust haha

What do you have left?

• Like 1

You've done an amazing job!! I'm the same as you. I get a bike. I restore it, truck it out, ride it a few years and get another one. Then the se process again to the new one. I myself am a 2 stroke guy. I just traded my 01 kx250 for a 02 yz426 TODAY. The bike is unreal!! I don't know much about them. Hopefully i can find good info on here about it. I hope I didn't get the shaft for this trade today, but the bike runs great, bike is in excellent condition. I can't wait to see the end result of all your hard work

• Like 2

vwcorrado,

You did good! thank you for posting that! Tell me about your rads... brand?, price?, fitment issues?

I was just about to ship mine to Myler's Radiators.

I bought some ebay radiators, I think they are GPI they where $80 right and left they fit perfect no issues at all. They look pretty strong to they are not close to fluidyne rads but I did not want to sink $300 into rads.

• Like 1

Vwcorrado, very nice job man! Love the paint too, was curious what brand you used,

Both of you guys are making me jealious ill have to start up a build thread, mines come along way with all the powder coat and a new engine

I called the local Yamaha dealer (NCY), looking for frame paint. He told me to go to www.colorrite.com and you select what you have, and they match the paint.

It was a little pricey it was $43 for a aerosol paint can. But after I painted it I'm glad I did it. 

• Like 1

I called the local Yamaha dealer (NCY), looking for frame paint. He told me to go to www.colorrite.com and you select what you have, and they match the paint.

It was a little pricey it was $43 for a aerosol paint can. But after I painted it I'm glad I did it.

Oh ok, I've looked up colorrite before and they look great but I didn't wanna spend that kind of$ in paint cause I didn't know how many cans it would take, I'm curious how many cans it took to cover the frame if you don't mind me asking, also did you get the primer/clear?

The rads look good too btw. I like the blue hoses.

A buddy of mine fell and hit a rock with his 95 rm250, we bought the same GPI rads for his bike and they have held up quiet well the last few months.

Alright, here is a mini update before I leave out of town for a while.

Last weekend was incredible. I survived my first race! Also to top it off, my Mom and Dad made the trip with me, which was really special for me. I don't get them to myself very often.

Here is a picture of the 936 bike, and the rider in decade old gear to match :goofy: . It's an 02 cr125 that I got off craigslist last year. It's nearly done, I chased a low end bog for 2 months before I realized the cylinder was worn out....the suspension needs to be reworked for off road (aka jackhammer forks). But with low gearing....it's a great bike for GNCC style racing.

1vD7Uj.jpg

The race was epic fun! I didn't know it was going to be a dead engine start till right before. But that was OK, the little 125 will start every single time 100%...I was launching forward before the kick starter hit the foot peg and nearly got the hole shot!

I also didn't realize that riding full tilt for over an hour (1:24:27.8) is absolutely the most exhausting, yet adrenalin pumping thing ever. I was so spent after the race I couldn't even put a coherent sentence together.

I was hoping to get top 10.....  I got 4th in my class (Open C) and 5th overall! :banana:http://torcsracing.com/Results/results.php?Series_ID=22&Event_ID=906&Class_ID=79

Ok back to the 426

The sub frame is 100% ready to go.

GbuajB.jpg

The water pump looks great.

Rf64xX.jpg

The oil lines are filthy, must be leaking someplace.

LsIywI.jpg

But the screen was clear of any metal fragments, I was happy to see that.

x8wigI.jpg

I also checked the valves and they were perfectly in spec! Everything looks ok too.

wBtnJE.jpg

Fill side radiator was sent yesterday to Myler's for straightening and reinforcement. The picture does not show it, but fill side was very much out of line/twisted. Left side radiator is pushed in a tad, but I am going to run it.

mwGItB.jpg

Here is a before and after picture of the coolant lines.

yvtHXD.jpg  a2DUMt.jpg  8JvogV.jpg8YU6LO.jpg

I have changed my mind and decided to paint the frame. I went back and forth on what color....but decided the Yamaha blue from that era was really cool.  Thank you VWCORRADO for the suggestion form Colorrite!, I would have never known that was available.

Lastly, I decided to send my carb in to Zip Ty Racing to have them clean, inspect, and modify it. Some might say that is a bit pricey, $150+...but my carb is sooo dirty....and I am just loony toons from cleaning.

Here is Zip Ty's link. http://www.ziptyracing.com/carburator-mod/

And here is a Thumpertalk link about it https://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/388165-zipty-racing-carb-modification-test/

So there it is. Thank you everyone for the nice replies and photos. :ride:

• Like 2

Great post, the 426 is a great bike. Here's my 2000 YZ426 I have owned since new and turned into a dual sport bike, by the way over 500 hours, just replaced valves for the first time and piston and rings. Riders tell me how expensive 4 strokes are to maintain, this bike is on its original crank, and on its 4th hour meter.

yz426 dog 014.JPG

• Like 3