Sign in to follow this  

I need some motivation... (pics)

I'm in the middle of a project right now and I'm losing motivation on it. It's about to be kicked to the curb if I don't find some. I bought a 2002 CR 125 back in May for $600. It would not start, and it didn't have one redeemable aspect to it, other than the fact that I enjoy a good project. Just to give you an idea it had black plastics, metal mulisha graphics, an aftermarket chinese radiator mounted only by the radiator hoses, and visibly rusted brake rotors. Here's what has been done so far:

-Fully disassembled down to a bare frame which was cleaned up to factory shine

-Motor was torn down, soda blasted, fully rebuilt (every bearing, gasket, and seal), and assembled with new OE hardware

-Bought a new radiator and sent the other to get re-conditioned, all new rad hoses, louvres, and water pump

-Carb was cleaned and rebuilt, new MX Bonz tube and clamp kit

-Fork seals and oil were changed, shock oil changed

-Master cylinders and calipers rebuilt, new rotors, new sprockets and chain block/slider, brake pads.

-New clutch and throttle cable, throttle tube, new grips, new shifter

-Brand new swing arm and linkage bearings. 

-Stock hubs were powder coated and assembled with brand new wheel bearings, collars, seals, and axle blocks.

-Bought new rims, have not been laced up yet

-Most of the OE hardware was replaced 

-Every part was gone through, inspected, cleaned, greased, etc... 

https://flic.kr/p/omjCvH

https://flic.kr/p/oEz4Xn

https://flic.kr/p/oCAvBQ

I probably have $1500-$2000 into it already and I still need some fairly high dollar items. I'm 20 years old and I'm a full time student that delivers pizza and does some construction on the side. At this point it's getting frustrating to look at this bike everyday and having it not be done, almost 3 months later.

As of now I still need:

-Spokes

-Tires

-Chain

-Clutch Lever

-Plastics/Graphics

-FMF Exhaust

-05+ Airbox 

-Some small miscellaneous parts

Anyone with words of encouragement/ideas/criticism.... feel free

Edited by aluminumgiraffe

Get ta' work , ain't gonna build itself.  :lol:  Glad you are giving it a second chance , tired of seeing nice bikes ripped apart to be sold on ebay in a 100 pieces. 

Bike looks really nice, it's coming along good. Post more pics as you do things to it and remember it's a hobby, hobbys take time. Enjoy the journey no matter how long it takes- get to the finish line. It will be worth it.

Edited by Dexter42

I'm in the middle of a project right now and I'm losing motivation on it. It's about to be kicked to the curb if I don't find some. I bought a 2002 CR 125 back in May for $600. It would not start, and it didn't have one redeemable aspect to it, other than the fact that I enjoy a good project. Just to give you an idea it had black plastics, metal mulisha graphics, an aftermarket chinese radiator mounted only by the radiator hoses, and visibly rusted brake rotors. Here's what has been done so far:

-Fully disassembled down to a bare frame which was cleaned up to factory shine

-Motor was torn down, soda blasted, fully rebuilt (every bearing, gasket, and seal), and assembled with new OE hardware

-Bought a new radiator and sent the other to get re-conditioned, all new rad hoses, louvres, and water pump

-Carb was cleaned and rebuilt, new MX Bonz tube and clamp kit

-Fork seals and oil were changed, shock oil changed

-Master cylinders and calipers rebuilt, new rotors, new sprockets and chain block/slider, brake pads.

-New clutch and throttle cable, throttle tube, new grips, new shifter

-Brand new swing arm and linkage bearings. 

-Stock hubs were powder coated and assembled with brand new wheel bearings, collars, seals, and axle blocks.

-Bought new rims, have not been laced up yet

-Most of the OE hardware was replaced 

-Every part was gone through, inspected, cleaned, greased, etc... 

https://flic.kr/p/omjCvH

https://flic.kr/p/oEz4Xn

https://flic.kr/p/oCAvBQ

I probably have $1500-$2000 into it already and I still need some fairly high dollar items. I'm 20 years old and I'm a full time student that delivers pizza and does some construction on the side. At this point it's getting frustrating to look at this bike everyday and having it not be done, almost 3 months later.

As of now I still need:

-Spokes

-Tires

-Chain

-Clutch Lever

-Plastics/Graphics

-FMF Exhaust

-05+ Airbox 

-Some small miscellaneous parts

Anyone with words of encouragement/ideas/criticism.... feel free

I gotta tell ya--project bikes are expensive, as you are learning!  My perspectives on fixing up bikes has changed a lot.  I used to think that buying a project bike could save some cash.  But now, if a bike isn't exactly as I want it in its present condition, I won't buy it. 

Are you fixing this bike up to ride?  If so, just make it rideable for the timebeing.  Fix it up as you go. Just do the minimum so you can ride it around the track.  Getting some seat time beneathe you will narrow your focus to what's important.  RIDING!!

Project bikes are almost always a money pit. A buddy of mine got a roached out '93 CR250 for free and it cost him almost $5K to bring it back.

After 40 years of buying/selling bikes, I've found that the best used bikes are the ones that sat in a garage their entire life.

• Like 3

One word aof advice. If you don´t need the money really badly, throw a blanket over it and pull the CR back out when you feel like it.

You won´t see any of the money you invested into it back. I have made the mistake of throwing project bikes over board when I lost interest. I know how it feels though... limited funds, sometimes lack of motivation and interest. You think you can use the money and wooosh the bike´s gone.

I have rebuilt my 2002 CR 250 and everytime I look at it I think it was worth it. When I am away I keep thinking that it was stupid to pour so much money into it. But then I just look back at it and know that I had a good time doing it.

Other people spend money on drugs, alcohol and clothing.

I´d rather run around sober with a hole in my left shoe and have a project than all of the things above.

• Like 8

Can you do this in stages? IE are the wheels in that bad of shape? If it was me and you wanted to just ride the thing get the nessecities and ride it until you can replace the "wants" that's what I am having to do..

image.jpg

here is a motivational picture.

Edited by farfromhome63

BRO. I blew up my supercharged cobra in 2010, dismantled the engine trans etc that June. I moved three times with all the parts in 3 years. The body spent 6 months in a field under a tree next to a bunch of junked hot rods. I lost my job went bankrupt the bank had a repo man out looking for it. I hid it in a storage unit in someone else's name. I rebuilt everything and sold a bunch of shyt n settled with the bank and got the title free and clear then rolled it out of the unit fully built after 3 years of hell everyone tell me to let it go.

If you start something finish it. It ain't worth shyt half done if you sell it like that you'll lose your ass. Bein lazy and jumping ship early isn't financially any good.

Besides. You're not a quitter are ya!?

• Like 2

Can you do this in stages? IE are the wheels in that bad of shape? If it was me and you wanted to just ride the thing get the nessecities and ride it until you can replace the "wants" that's what I am having to do..

image.jpg

here is a motivational picture.

i love this bike.. definitely going for a look similar to that. And unfortunately i'm so far into it and everything is in various stages of completion that I have to take this thing all the way to the finish to be able to ride it.....the only thing i know for sure is that she starts first kick (after my first ever bottom end rebuild lol)

I gotta tell ya--project bikes are expensive, as you are learning!  My perspectives on fixing up bikes has changed a lot.  I used to think that buying a project bike could save some cash.  But now, if a bike isn't exactly as I want it in its present condition, I won't buy it. 

Are you fixing this bike up to ride?  If so, just make it rideable for the timebeing.  Fix it up as you go. Just do the minimum so you can ride it around the track.  Getting some seat time beneathe you will narrow your focus to what's important.  RIDING!!

This bike was originally bought with the intention of just fixing it to get it rideable, probably could have thrown in a piston ring an cleaned the carb and been fine. And eventually to tear it down as a project, but one thing led to another and here I am... I guess it's just my curiosity to blame. 

I appreciate everyone's comments and support on this, if y'all are interested I can throw up some progress pictures/replies every once in a while until this bitch is done.... hopefully by mid-fall. I'd really like to get some seat time at the track before NJ turns into arctic tundra for the winter. 

• Like 2

I appreciate everyone's comments and support on this, if y'all are interested I can throw up some progress pictures/replies every once in a while until this bitch is done.... hopefully by mid-fall. I'd really like to get some seat time at the track before NJ turns into arctic tundra for the winter. 

Add kendas and ice spikes to the list .  :thumbsup:  :lol:

• Like 1

I can't wait for winter. Tx summers are killer hot, although this one has been pretty moderate. Riding seasons starts the end of September!!

• Like 2

I can't wait for winter. Tx summers are killer hot, although this one has been pretty moderate. Riding seasons starts the end of September!!

yeahhh i've spent some time in the Dallas heat in July. Low humidity and about 110 degrees lol

aluminumgiraffe, I myself have spent a bunch of time and money restoring old 125cc mx bikes, but in the end they are way cool and worth the time to do it right.  For motivation here are a few photo's of my 125's like you asked for (pics) and they might just help you keep going knowing you too can have one completed and in your garage one day.  Good luck!

IMG_5452.JPG

IMG_5376.JPG

IMG_5256.JPG

IMG_4373.JPG

• Like 1