Sign in to follow this  

Right bike for me

I am looking at what type of bike to get.  I'm 16 and 5'8 155 but done growing and dont have experience on dirt bikes but have ridden 4 wheelers a good bit and understand gear changes.  I'm a fast learner and  dont want to get a "starter bike" that will not give me the power i want 2 months down the road, i want a bike i would get if i had experience.  I dont plan on racing but will prob be riding trails and courses near where i live.  I'm leaning towards a 2 stroke because they're lighter and less maintenance is a huge factor.  I dont need a ton of power but not something i will get board with.  What are yall thinking? 125 2?

Edited by Ryan5150

Any brand of 125 2 stroke will suit you well, it will teach you the basics of riding and handling a bike and you will also learn how to work on one. Plenty of power for a beginner. I just came off of a yz125 that I had been on for 2 years, great bikes, just keep the top ends and jetting in check and you shouldn't have any issues.

Edited by nholden98

so any honda, ktm, kawasawki, yamaha, or suzuki? is a 125 pretty much the lowest power full sized bike? and does it matter if i get a moto bike or a trail since im not gonna be racing?

Edited by Ryan5150

so any honda, ktm, kawasawki, yamaha, or suzuki? is a 125 pretty much the lowest power full sized bike? and does it matter if i get a moto bike or a trail since im not gonna be racing?

Yes any brand will be fine, although on the KTMs it'd be best to stick with an '08 or newer. None of the brands make a trail oriented 125 so you're stuck with a moto style bike. And no, they aren't the lowest powered full size bike however they are the lowest powered motocross bike. If you are somewhat mechanically inclined, maintaining one should not be hard whatsoever, but if you want something that requires no more than gas and an oil change, an XR250 is also a good choice since you won't be racing.. What is your budget?

Is you know how to work a clutch any bike works. But a good one for trails is a WR250F and if you don't want a complete full size bike yet a TT-R230 is great! I have one along with my YZF and I love my 230 for trails! I actually prefer it on trails because it has gobs of torque with lower wheelspin so I can climb muddy hills easier!

Lol... Get a mx 450, you will adapt quickly and can grow into it over time. Btw at 16 your not done growing, at about 20/21 you'll be done. After that you start growing to the sides

Dexter-ive had my knees xrayed and while they were looking at something else, they looked at the growth plates and said they are 90% closed and ok so if im not riding it hard, a cr or yz125 will be the cheapest option for a quality bike but, budget allowing, get a 4 stroke trail bike?

Right on, yeah a 125 will be the cheapest route. Trail bikes are good beginner and just chill bikes but if your looking for styling and some bite a mx bike is where it's at. I'm sure you could pick up a 250 4t for about the same as a 125 2t. I'm 5'8- 170lbs and ride a 450 coming from a yz125. Two strokes are sweet as well but after my 4t I'm just not a fan of gas mixing, constantly riding the powerband to do anything, and the super high pitch loud pipes. Love the torque and instant response of my 4t and the deep roar of the pipe. But again it's all user preference and I would buy what ever suits you best, everyone's opinion is great but at the end of the day buy what's gonna make you happy and feel confident riding it.

• Like 1

Thanks man ill prob end up with a 125 2 in whatever brand i can find a good deal on used

No worries man, best bet if possible is to get some of your friends together with different bikes and test them out. See what you like and what you don't like before purchase. That way you have an idea of what your getting before you buy. 2t are a good time, any bike as long as your riding and having fun is a good bike.

A 125 will suit you well, and in a year or two you can move up to either a 450 or 250 2 stroke, I went to another 2 stroke (09 250sx) just because I'm a fan of the riding style that's similar to the 125. Heck, after riding my bike it makes my friend's 450 power delivery feel like my grandma's car :lol: