Sign in to follow this  

71 KAWASAKI F6 HELP

I'm hoping someone out there can help me. I have a 71 F6 and I cant get a spark. I have replaced the flywheel, stator, condenser, flywheel and coil. Theres no reason for this thing not to get spark... is there something im missing? Help me out guys.

I'm hoping someone out there can help me. I have a 71 F6 and I cant get a spark. I have replaced the flywheel, stator, condenser, flywheel and coil. Theres no reason for this thing not to get spark... is there something im missing? Help me out guys.

Check your grounds and your ignition/ kill switch

Check your grounds and your ignition/ kill switch

I have the motor off the bike because it's not hooked up to the key it shouldn't affect it right? And its a magneto so it shouldn't need to be hooked to the battery right? 

Have you tested the magneto coils?  That is usually the root of the problem (after making sure the ignition is now grounding out somewhere) the insulation in the coils degrade over time from just sitting and create closed shorts and thus changing the resistance of the coils and not allowing them to create the proper electro magnetic current and pulse to send to the coil.

First put a piece of paper between the breaker points and measure the resistance from ground to the black wire to the coil.  Your reading should be about .5 ohm.  You also might need to test the insulation between the iron core and the coil, however you must un ground the coil first.  You should get a reading of about 5M ohms (megaohms, so you might not be able to test this with a typical meter)

Without seeing anything else about your bike, this is what I think you problem is.

I have tons of other information, like wiring diagrams, restoration videos that will apply to your bike on my website.

Motorcycle how to and restoration videos

• Like 2