Sign in to follow this  

Looking for a new pipe!

Absolutely bashed my pro circuit works pipe in a rocky, hilly hare scramble (the shotgun hare scramble in PA, hosted by the ECEA, did any of you go?!)

Looking to buy a pipe from someone on here.

Post what you have! My bike is a 2002 cr 250.

I would prefer the stock pipe, so if you have that, it would be great. (New ones are $330, no way)

Will NOT buy another works pipe, they are a pain in the neck!

What did you not like about the works pipe?

The maintenance. Could not keep it from rusting.

You can get a new stock pipe from Partzilla for $265, with free shipping.

I have a pc works pipe on my 01, I bead blasted it and painted it with rattle can hot paint. It's held up great. however, you need to cure the paint. Since I don't have an oven to put it in, I used a heat gun and blew hot air through the pipe..

I used to have a HGS pipe, and I loved it. A little more grunt down low but no enough that it screwed up the top. that is what I would buy.

cheers

I have a pc works pipe on my 01, I bead blasted it and painted it with rattle can hot paint. It's held up great. however, you need to cure the paint. Since I don't have an oven to put it in, I used a heat gun and blew hot air through the pipe..

I used to have a HGS pipe, and I loved it. A little more grunt down low but no enough that it screwed up the top. that is what I would buy.

cheers

Did you know exhausts get hot when you run the bike? Just wondering. :)

I just used VHT engine paint. They also offer exhaust paint. The description says you can spray it on and then wait for a while, but then you have to put heat into it for it to cure. You could do it in an oven with smaller parts, or you could simply put them on your motorsickle and run it. Hence the cynical comment :) No offense though.

I agree man, if I even splash through one puddle the damn thing will rust. Now I know to always wipe it down with WD-40 as soon as I'm done riding.

I tried spraying transparent enamel high temp on the pipe...didn't know that it had to cure...and dirt stuck to it like feathers to tar!

I live near the beach, and the thing would be covered in surface rust the morning after a ride :(

I think you were the guy that PM'd me about mine. I do have one. It does have about a moderate sized dent in it though. 

VHT header paint followed by using a map gas torch works great. The exhaust on the two stroke doesn't really get hot enough to heat cure the paint.

Do you know if it can cured weeks later after applying? Haven't used the pipe yet.

Do you know if it can cured weeks later after applying? Haven't used the pipe yet.

Time isn't really an issue, as long as the paint is dry.  Even if you had already used the pipe, you could put a torch to it and cure the paint.  If the pipe is dirty, clean it first because any dirt will bake into the paint.

• Like 1

I'm assuming all you guys are talking about aerosol cans that need a certain temp to be cured ?   It only requires a bake (heat cycle) if the product has a catalyst combined with the product & then it would need a bake & it wouldn't really cure till aprox. 90 days.  There are a couple of aerosol products in the automotive market that are 2 component with a catalyst, but most need to be mixed together.        

The Doma purchased had a raw finish & it was a pita to keep from rusting as was a works PC pipe owned.  I used a high temp duplicolor clear coat & it actually has held up pretty good thru the years & only made some touch ups on it.  After about 8 years now I think it could use a complete refinish. 

Mike - PC makes a platinum pipe & is the same as the works pipe that wouldn't require the maintenance of the raw finish.