Sign in to follow this  

YZ250 Oil drain bolt broken

1990 YZ250 bike is new to us, so me and my buddy were attempting to change oil on it and ended up breaking the bolt head. we weren't even applying much of torque too. The bolt was looking almost new so we never thought we would end up this way.

btw, i guess its a hallow bolt, even with stripped head part, oil got drained. so using drill bit may not be an option to get it out.

what are the options we have here?

thanks in advance

Edited by mambo00

It it's broken roughly you might be able to turn it with a hammer and punch/chisel

Otherwise you might use easy-out of basically any style

Or you could try find a screw that fits, screw it in tight enough that when you unscrew it the whole plug comes

Or you could drill the entire plug out and thread new holes

Sounds like a easy one to me since it's big, goes all the way through the surface, and already has a hole through it. Easy-out is probably the easiest option.

• Like 1

You said it was hallow , try tapping it with a left hand thread and it could work like an easy out screwing itself in while you try and loosen the remains of the bolt. I had a similar problem where I stripped the bolt and I welded a nut onto the rounded off head. Good luck :D

Thanks guys for the tip. Upside down the bike, used easy out and in matter of seconds the bolt is out. 

Now i am trying to find the replacement bolt. does all YZ250 have the same spec for it ? M12 x 1.5 ?

when i search for 1990 i don't find the exact item. i am in urgent to get this one to make it to the practice day on wednesday aug 13

I would go to your nearest Yamaha dealer or dirt bike shop and tell them what you need, they should have it before august 13, I got mine within 2 days

Moose makes a magnetic one, but hat wont help for his week obviously. For a few bucks theyre nice to have an extra.

Looking up the part number it looks like it fits anything from 1985-2007. Your dealer should have something for sure

I think you'll need a "M12-1.5 bolt. That's metric. So maybe you can find that at the hardware store and probably a o-ring that fits nice as a quick fix.

If you have the old one with you take it along!

Edited by runnybunny

Thanks Guys. Was able to get one from the dealer near by for $9. Just a standard one not the magnetic one. this will serve for my urgent needs