Sign in to follow this  

Thoughts on new fox comp 8 boots

Ive been looking for new boots but don't want to pay $500 so I've been looking at tech 7s and now the new comp 8.Ive tried on the tech 7 and didn't really like it much so I was wondering if anyone has tried on the comp 8 and what your thoughts are on them. The only down side I see is there not hinged but I'm not a super fast rider so I'm not sure if that matters or not.

Can't comment on the boots but I recently picked up a pair of sg-10s from motosport for $400 CAD and they're worth every penny.

• Like 1

Ok so I got to try these on today and man are they comfortable there pretty much an instinct without a pivot. They do need to be broken in though. I'd call it a tech 8 alternative.

Do not get tech 7's. The buckle system is terrible!! I cannot get the buckles off after a ride. Worst buckle system I have ever encountered!! And to top it off the boys only lasted one season.

I broke my foot almost in half in July it's going to take a year or more to get back to normal. I was looking for the best boot I could get I wasn't worried about money I was looking for protection and comfort I ended up buying gearne t-12s Theye are very comfortable and it didn't take them long to break in the only problem I have is they are noisy when I walk.

Edited by cas747

I had gotten comp 8s off my sponsor and they look as if they are very good quality and definitely score well in the looks category however can't comment about the durability as I haven't been able to ride with them due to the weather out here in New England lol

I just got comp 8's today for Christmas. But I won't be able to wear them for about 3 months as I am having surgery on my knee here very soon

The comp 8's are amazing. I had gotten them for my oldest 4 months ago and so far no issues at all. Break in is easy smooth, without compromising durability and safety. They run pretty true to size.

Hi guys!

I'm a beginner rider and looking for a new boots between Comp 8 and Tech 7. most of my riding is enduro.

Anyone know which is better?

Why would you buy some overpriced junk boots made in China? Buy Forma, Gaerne Sidi or any other quality boot with a stitched on sole. Made in places like Romania or Italy, the quality is 10x better then what's made by Fox or likewise. I just retired a pair of Formas with over 500hrs on them. No pair of Fox or Alpinestars or such with a molded soles will ever last that long...

Why would you buy some overpriced junk boots made in China? Buy Forma, Gaerne Sidi or any other quality boot with a stitched on sole. Made in places like Romania or Italy, the quality is 10x better then what's made by Fox or likewise. I just retired a pair of Formas with over 500hrs on them. No pair of Fox or Alpinestars or such with a molded soles will ever last that long...

i believe that fox and alpinestars are great for mx but not enduro or trail riding

Look into the TCX Pro 2.1. $300 gets you a brand new pair. Most comparable boot is the Gaerne's IMO. 

I love mine! Had a pair of Pro 1.1's back in the day and loved them, wore a few different brands for a few years and got tired of having issues with them. Bought a pair of the 2.1's and don't think I will ever switch again. 

I've got a pair of alpinestars and they've never let me down, tough boots. I mostly ride enduro too. Never had a problem with them, my friend also has exactly the same pair as me and he does enduro, trail riding, rides tracks and they're solid to, no problems what so ever.

As for sidi's.. My dads got a pair of sidi's and they're terrible. Started falling apart, lost colour, parts flaking off. They're awful.

This is just my personal opinion from my experience so don't start moaning people haha, but Alpinestars have never let me down :) Id recommend them for everything. Hope this helped a few of you out!

If you have a wide foot, the fox 8 is the best boot that will fit. Those other boots are for people with skinny feet. Doesn't matter how good they are when you have to go 3 sizes bigger to get enough width. I still like the Fox 5s as a best value.

Hi guys!

I'm a beginner rider and looking for a new boots between Comp 8 and Tech 7. most of my riding is enduro.

Anyone know which is better?

DONT BUY THE COMP 8s. I got a pair as a christmas present from my father and figured what the hell, new boots, guess ill retire my old ones. Three rides in and the stitching on the inside of the left boot broke loose and the rubber tore out. You could see my sock from the outside of the boot, Fox made good on it and replaced them. Second ride out on the new pair (2 days ago) I was riding some tight singletrack and clipped a tree with my toe, that big toe is now broken and about 3x its normal size as I lay here typing this. Boot has horrible protection. Ive clipped stuff way harder in other boots and felt nothing. It felt like I hit the tree with tennis shoes with these boots on. They just crumpled. I will be selling these comp 8s and riding my old alpinestars until I can get the money together to get some sidi's or gaerne sg12s. Thoroughly annoyed that these $330 boots offer so little protection. I give them a 2/10. 

DONT BUY THE COMP 8s. I got a pair as a christmas present from my father and figured what the hell, new boots, guess ill retire my old ones. Three rides in and the stitching on the inside of the left boot broke loose and the rubber tore out. You could see my sock from the outside of the boot, Fox made good on it and replaced them. Second ride out on the new pair (2 days ago) I was riding some tight singletrack and clipped a tree with my toe, that big toe is now broken and about 3x its normal size as I lay here typing this. Boot has horrible protection. Ive clipped stuff way harder in other boots and felt nothing. It felt like I hit the tree with tennis shoes with these boots on. They just crumpled. I will be selling these comp 8s and riding my old alpinestars until I can get the money together to get some sidi's or gaerne sg12s. Thoroughly annoyed that these $330 boots offer so little protection. I give them a 2/10. 

I had the same experience with th Comp 5s, I'll NEVER buy Fox boots again!

Now if you want cheap boots with "some" protection, I just bought my son a pair of the O'Neil "Rider" boots, $110, They have the welt sole, steel shank and sturdy plastic. They are mostly man made materials (you don't get real leather under $200). I can't bend them in half like the Comp boots, the buckles are OK, not great though. My 9 YO son can buckle these w/o a problem, un-like his old A*s (Older model).