Sign in to follow this  

Crf230m, blown motor 2800 miles

09 crf230m, Bought it new (old stock) June of 2013. Happened this morning on my way to work, just died. Got the bike home and tore it down. Piston is shredded, cylinder Walls are pretty bad. My question is what is the best top end rebuild kit to get for the bike? Too many wheelies I guess.

image_zps62e2fdb7.jpg

62F64089-8297-4DB8-824A-A6C0A70EF9BA_zps

0A238E19-37B5-4084-B666-B04E61F50A85_zps

I am an airplane mechanic... This is the smallest little cam I've ever seen!!!

9F98D6B5-9419-4D97-82CE-83252D015B14_zps

Even I do not I had seen a cam so small before.. but I never seen a piston in these conditions also:huh:!! If the cylinder is striped, we must obviously bored it. I believe that only Wossener can provide you all the pistons size that you will need. I have done this, 67mm Wossener high compression piston (10,5: 1 compression ratio). I recommend you to put an aftermarket cam and change the carb jet . (Maybe your cylinder was working too hot. With larger Main and pilot jets will be ok.)

These bikes are really reliable, the only check to do is the oil level.

From the looks of that piston, it looks like you were going down a very long and steep hill, as fast as it would possibly go, when it started loosing power, you kept down shifting until running out of gears, the whole time this was going on, you never let off the throttle....

• Like 2

I have the same bike, 2009 crf230m, and it shut off on me on the freeway, won't restart, cranks over fine. Pulled over and it had almost no oil

Added oil and it still won't start. Any ideas??

Wow, something made that piston crazy hot. Low oil? Jetted too lean? Would be interesting to know what caused it so it doesn't happen again. A stock cylinder/piston for a 150f is around a hundred bucks. I wouldn't think it would be much more for a 230. Great looking bike by the way.

Atown8605, I checked the dipstick after it shut off, no oil on it. Bike was new and hasn't even had its 1st oil change, didn't think it would eat all the oil. I've checked the valves to see if they're stuck but they don't appear to be. Have not torn it apart and checked the piston, was gonna buy a compression gauge 1st and see if it has any compression and go from there.

Atown8605, I checked the dipstick after it shut off, no oil on it. Bike was new and hasn't even had its 1st oil change, didn't think it would eat all the oil. I've checked the valves to see if they're stuck but they don't appear to be. Have not torn it apart and checked the piston, was gonna buy a compression gauge 1st and see if it has any compression and go from there.

Assuming it has spark and fuel then next step is compression. You might try shining a flashlight down the spark plug hole and

have a look.

I suggest you look at the oil strainer and see if any metal bits are visible. Could save you some money on compression tester.

That's a good idea thanks. Cause I was looking at a reliable snapon compression gauge and they're a bit pricey. It also seems the engine has to come off the bike just to pull the head!!!