Sign in to follow this  

03 XR400R Rebuild time

My old faithful is up for a rebuild. It has just started blowing some smoke so I would prefer to get it done sooner rather than later. I was think of doing a Wiseco kit with a 86mm with a 10:1 compression ratio. This will make the engine 407 cc. Is this a good size and compression ratio to run? I am in Australia and the highest octane pump unleaded fuel we have here is 98. Will that suffice for the 10:1 compression ratio. Also I was thinking about doing work on the valves what can be done here. I was thinking of putting in new valves and reseatting them.

Thanks for any addvice  

• Like 1

Ok I have done some more research I want to put kibblewhite valves, springs, Guides, guide seals and retainers. Will I be able to run this  valve train with a stock cam and timing chain + tensioner. I was planning on replacing the timing chain any way so should I just go the oem Honda one or go wiseco. I didn't want to replace the cam or cam chain tensioner. I only want to pull this bike apart one time so I wanna make this a good build with out comprmising reliability, Thanks guys

Go the OEM crf cam chain. Half the price. On 98 octane you could go up to 11:1 comp but 10:1 is probably still pretty good. Check both the oils strainers when you do the rebuild!

How many k's have you total? At a guess the guides in the head should still be ok. Stick with stock cam for reliability and trouble free riding.

Edited by hondahead98

Well it had 4600km when I bought it last year I took the speedo off and pout a trailtech vapour on it. I have put about 140 hours since I bought it. so what ever 4600km  plus 140 hours. Also what about the rockers can I run the stock ones with the kibblewhite valves

So probably 10-15000k depending on what sort of riding you do. The rockers only need to be changed if they are worn or you are going to be running a hardened aftermarket cam.

I put a set of rings in mine at 15000ks and didn't touch anything else. It now has 23000k on it but it getting due for another freshen up!