Sign in to follow this  

250 sxf

Hey i have a 09 ktm sxf 250 i bought it used its started putting out a little blue smoke i put 120 hours on it not sure what it was when I got it is it hurting anything to keep running like this? It aint using much oil

Um i dont think so the smoke is blue and coolant lvl hasn't changed in a year how often are you supposed to do pistons/rings in these bikes?

Depends on so many things but 50 hours is the max imo

For mx riding

Hard to say if it starts burning serious oil it can run low on oil and do all sorts of damage

But if i dont run out of oil i should be fine then? As it is it gets about way down the sight glass in around 5 hours haha

More than likely you need a top end, run thicker oil and have the head check while it's apart. My understanding is blue smoke is oil, white is coolant, black is fuel but I could be wrong. If you ride it the way it sits your gonna start putting more stress on the bottom end and your gonna end up with a full motor rebuilt if it doesn't need one already.

if it take,s 5 hours to see the oil go from top to bottum sign class , do not worry and ride it . one thing is for sure , you ar not the fastest rider . we have to change the rings ever y 5-7 hours max and use than 250-350 cc of oil ever y heat (abouth a half hour ) one,s we replaced the rings with new one,s we can go for abouth 2-4 hours without oil lose (the oil lose we have is not in smoke buth throw the breathertube . i think you replace the valve seals and your ok. when the rings wear there is more presure inthe crankroom and this give more presure on the breather and spit oil out on the hose . so if there is no oil sign on the end of the breather hose go for the seals .

Edited by speedboot

If the rings are bad and oil is getting past them, you could score the cylinder walls, which means a more costly re-build. Thats the biggest concern of just running it until you do a re-build. These motors are suppose to run 50hrs on a piston. So you're trying to make the motor run three times longer? EEK!

It just feels like heat not enough pressure to feel unless I have my hand about half an inch in front of the hose