Sign in to follow this  

Rebuild Time/Suspension

My bikes starting to cause endless problems from burning oil to not starting, so I decided to have the top end rebuilt. I went with all oem parts and I decided to have a professional do it because the special tools you need to do it are just about as expensive.($150) The guy also does suspension work. Should I have him do mine? He was a mechanic for the Maryland state police and big into racing. Not sure on the price yet, but will it really make that big of a difference?

For better longevity go with SS valve train, OEM is expensive. Suspensions are all personal preference and while many do it, not many have the complete knowledge to get it correct the first time. Be very honest when he ask you questions on what your skill level is, type of riding and the bikes performing issues.

Suspension work? As in valving or just rebuilds? I'd be cautious of anyone who claims to know valving. Sure anyone can do it but very few, I mean very few have hours upon hours of testing with great riders who give proper feed back.

For better longevity go with SS valve train, OEM is expensive. Suspensions are all personal preference and while many do it, not many have the complete knowledge to get it correct the first time. Be very honest when he ask you questions on what your skill level is, type of riding and the bikes performing issues.

Thanks for the input but I already bought the oem stuff and it was far from cheap.

Suspension work? As in valving or just rebuilds? I'd be cautious of anyone who claims to know valving. Sure anyone can do it but very few, I mean very few have hours upon hours of testing with great riders who give proper feed back.

He revalves, sets sag, etc. I'm not worried about his experience working on suspension because that's his specialty. He is well known to many GNCC riders.

The guy also does suspension work. Should I have him do mine? Not sure on the price yet, but will it really make that big of a difference?

That depends on how well the stock setup suits your weight, riding style, and ability. Single-track riding places different demands on the suspension than MX (more compliant so it doesn't beat you to death on rough terrain). 

If you are fast enough to be always at the limit, no matter what kind of riding you do, then, yes, it will make a difference. 

If you are too heavy or too light, you will need springs with valving to suit.

Your mechanic is the best person to answer this question, if you trust him, and if you don't trust him then go someplace else.

• Like 1

That depends on how well the stock setup suits your weight, riding style, and ability. Single-track riding places different demands on the suspension than MX (more compliant so it doesn't beat you to death on rough terrain).

If you are fast enough to be always at the limit, no matter what kind of riding you do, then, yes, it will make a difference.

If you are too heavy or too light, you will need springs with valving to suit.

Your mechanic is the best person to answer this question, if you trust him, and if you don't trust him then go someplace else.

I decided to not have my suspension done. The guy said he couldn't do much to it for my weight (150lbs) without changing springs. I'll probably get a 250 for next season anyway. Thanks for the input. Hopefully I'll get my bike back in time to get some practice in this weekend.

I decided to not have my suspension done. The guy said he couldn't do much to it for my weight (150lbs) without changing springs. I'll probably get a 250 for next season anyway. Thanks for the input. Hopefully I'll get my bike back in time to get some practice in this weekend.

Stock suspension is horrible, I mean unrideable at 150 pounds or more.  I weigh 157 pounds and couldn't get off the bike fast enough and yank my suspension off.  There three things this bike needs for kinda bigger kids or smaller adults like me.  Bike set-up: bars, pegs, triple clamp.  Then getting the carb and power delivery to your liking, then suspension.  Without suspension you crash hurt yourself badly once you start hitting some decent speeds. 

• Like 2

there is limits as to how fast you can go with stock valved suspension. The 1st thing is spring it to your weight. This is any bike,

I have tired several suspension companies over the years and to be honest it was a waste of money. Don't waste your money send it right to factory connections they are the best I have come across but are not cheap. I send my suspension to them every 25 hours like I said the down side is the $800 plus. If you have never had a bike with revolved suspension once you do you won't ride stock suspension ever again. I add this into the price of a new bike. When I buy a new bike it is torn apart before I even ride it and the first thing is the suspension.

• Like 1