Sign in to follow this  

New bike yz250f 2013 is hard/impossible to start.

I just bought a new bike that had been laying around the shop and that has never been ridden.

I have ridden it since i got it but it takes me from 4-40 kicks to get that damn thing to start wtf is wrong with it?? :foul:  :banghead:

Any help will be greatly appreciated

Hey guys, I searched and came up with nothing I'm looking to get Black rear side plastics for my 2001 YZ250F but I havent found any, I HAVE found them for a 2003 which is pretty much the same bike right? Here is what I'm looking at- http://www.motosport.com/dirtbike/2003-yamaha-yz250f--ACERBIS-SIDE-PANELS I'm just looking for insight if the 2003s would fit on my 2001.

Thanks!

-Austin

Love that avatar.Did you ever change the plug?

Need to richen your fuel screw if not go up one on pilot. Also if it's been sitting for a long time clean the carb, had a buddy with same problem. Carb was gummed up, if it's new why not take it back to the dealer and have them sort out the problem???

Okey i will take the carb apart and clean it and hopfully that fixes the problem.

The reason i dont take the bike to the dealer is becous i would have to drive for about 15-20 hour's to get to them.

Ohhh wow, yeah I see! Yeah man take the carb apart, clean all jets. Make sure you can see thru them. Blow all passages and while your in there buy yourself a fuel screw. They're fairly cheap and a must have on all carbs IMO. If you don't that's fine as well but start with the fuel screw 2 turns out. Make sure to not mix up the order of the spring,washer,oring when you reassemble. Also if you plan on putting a slip on I would bump up the pilot jet one up(bigger) that way you don't have to take it off again. Btw bumping the pilot jet one up will not jeopardize anything, if anything will run rich and preserve engine life a little vs lean.

Carb is plugged, start cleaning...

I would bet money this is correct. When I bought my YZ250F new, I had a hard time starting mine, plus I was having fuel rush out of the overflow. Tore the carb apart and could not believe the varnish/build-up that was clogging up the carb. I had to chisel a hunk off of the needle valve lol. Give the carb a thorough cleaning and you are probably good to go.

Edited by ah665

Dexter42: I have been thinking about buying a fmf slip on or full fmf system do you know if it worth the money?

I'm going to take the carb apart and clean it :)

How meny kicks does it take for you guys to get your bikes to start when the engine is cold?

Edited by -Jensen

Dexter42: I have been thinking about buying a fmf slip on or full fmf system do you know if it worth the money?

How meny kicks does it take for you guys to get your bikes to start when the engine is cold?

Bike should start within a few kicks, there's no set number and different variables make all bikes different. As far as slip on goes I'm a fan, full systems are even better if you have the coin. There's always used ones as well, just have to hunt one down. To be honest I buy most my pipes used so it makes it worth the money I pay for the sound and little performance if any it produces Edited by Dexter42

Okey, i think I'l just buy a slip-on first and then the megabomb later when i've save up some money.

Do you know if the afthermarket slip-on makes more noise than original on a yz250f? I've read that afthermarket slip-on's actually reduces the noise on kx250f (Just something i read about, I dont know if its true).

They typically do make more noise, consider something with a spark arrestor if your planning to do trail riding in ohv areas. Take spark arrestor out for track. Also if your worries about noise there's also slip ons out there with different tips that produce different db to accommodate your need. One being pro circut, they offer different tips.

Edited by Dexter42

Try cranking the throttle four times cold.

Good call skid. I like skid, to start- gas, chocke, two full wot, find tdc, solid kick usually does the trick to get her going from cold.

My ten would never start ever. Give it choke, fuel on, twist throttle 4 times and make sure you get a full kick and it fires first kick. My 12 needs a slightly different approach. Twist four times and hold the throttle slightly open and it fires in two kicks.

Make sure your fuel cap is vented properly. My 12 vent is broken and doesn't vent so you have to open the cap first. Remove your line on the carb and open fuel cock. Does it flow fuel? Could be your problem???

Did you buy this bike brand new never been ridden from the dealership? Every single brand new bike I've bought has been a PITA to start for the initial break in. Usually it would take just one good full day of riding then it would start first kick. If its been sitting a long time I'd not only pull and clean the carb but dump the gas out of the tank too. If you are having to twist the throttle at all to start it something is wrong.

Dexter42: thanks I didnt know the tips could make the bike quieter :)

Skid: do you mean that i crank the throttle 4 times before I kick or while I kick?

I'f I use chocke then it flow gass out under the bike from the line/tube that goes from the carb, so i dont use chocke. :)

Charlie755: Yes my bike si brand new, do you ride on a track or trail riding? 

I also added a pic so you could see. :)

2014-08-05 07.30.38.jpg

Edited by -Jensen

Nice bike. I ride both. Mostly MX during the summer. The few crashes I've had the bike was pretty hot too.

Before you start it. By pulling the choke it doesn't add more fuel it just changes the air/fuel ratio. Pull the choke. Don't lean the bike over, that's what's causing the fuel to run out. Crank it four times and kick it. Keep your hand off the throttle. If fuel is running out without leaning the bike on the side your float has to be stuck open but still shouldn't fill the carb that much.

• Like 1

I recently put a lexx mx muffler on my yz250f and I really like it.  Not to loud but loud enough you know your riding a dirtbike.  Also the price is right, brand new 180