Sign in to follow this  

'06 YZ250 problems

Ok, this past winter I scored a sweet, low hour & extremely clean '06 yz250. I love it!! It's everything my older 2t's never were. My fully built money pit CRF450 collects dust now, haha. Anyway, I've ridden it hard (40hrs this summer) trail and track, and kept it maintained. Few weeks ago, the problems began. After a grueling high altitude single track sesh, did a few track laps the next day. Over shot a 60ft table by 25ft or so, completely bottomed suspension (I'm 182#) but had no issues and cleared the next bigger jump fine. Bike sat for a few days and wouldn't start. Head rings were piched and coolant fouling plugs. Easy fix. As I was kicking it after wrenching, though, I realized MY REAR SHOCK WAS ONLY COMPRESSING ABOUT 4 INCHES (measured at seat) It sort of feels locked, but not completely rigid. Like if there were two ppl sitting on the bike it would compress a tiny bit further. It did this after sitting for two weeks. Compressed fine the first two weeks of kicking with fouled plug issues stated above. I can't find any other posts about this on a YZ.

I've heard of a rebound valve needle (?) getting stuck and can be ridden loose again, but I'm not sure.

Today I'm gonna tear down an check/grease linkage and adjust clickers back to stock. It's prolly important to note this bike came with stock forks (yay) but a rear shock custom set up for the PO. Aftermarket spring & valving. It has worked beautifully and felt balanced until now.

Any ideas on the cause of shock binding up?

You are doing the right thing to take the entire linkage apart and inspect. If all bearings in the swing arm and linkage move freely I would next remove the shock spring and compress the shock by hand by leaning on it on a bench. It should be difficult (but not impossible) to compress and you should feel roughly the same amount of resistance the entire stroke. Compress it all the way down to the bumper. Then when you release it, it should rebound smoothly and slowly to its fully extended state. It should make no gurgling sounds and not bind anywhere along the way. I am convinced that if you perform these steps you will find the problem.

PS. If you don't want to reset you sag mark the position of the spring retaining rings on the shock threads with a marker before removal.

• Like 1

After you check the linkage an swingarm bearings, if they are ok have the shock rebuilt.

Shock oil can get trapped behind the piston band and restrict travel. Especially If it is worse after riding the bike for a few minutes.

The fix is a new piston band with relief holes drilled