Sign in to follow this  

Damaged my forks - 48mm KYB fork interchangeability?

Hi all,

I have a 2005 WR250f with stock 48mm KYB forks. There is a deep gouge and two pits on my left hand side inner fork tube and I need to replace it. Buying a used set of forks off of eBay seems to make the most sense, as a replacement fork tube costs $372 and used forks can be had for much, much cheaper. Unfortunately, I'm not sure what years will fit. The part numbers are different for every year. All I know is that the 48mm KYB forks appeared on the WR250f in 2005 and were open cartridge, while the YZ250f also got the 48mm forks but with a dual chamber system instead of the cartridge. Can anyone let me know which years and or other models (wr426, yz250f, etc.) of the left hand side inner fork tube can be used? For example, I found a set of 2005 yz250f suspension on ebay, could I take the inner fork tube from that? Also, what years did the wr250f suspension stay the same? I am able to find forks for sale that are newer, but I have no idea if I can swap parts onto my old forks or if they will ride the same as my old forks. I know it's an obscure question, any relevant information is much appreciated. Thanks.

Have you cross checked part numbers ?

Yeah. They're different for every year and model. The wr part numbers are more similar to what I need though.

Are planning to swap the lug ?

The dual chamber forks have bottoming cones in the lugs.

Open cardridge are different.

The tube it self might be same along open cardrige

I'd prefer not to, but I will if I can get a set of forks for cheap.

did you try aftermarket from racetech or enzo? they could be cheaper

I have several sets of 07-08' kyb closed cartridge forks if you need a set.

You would need a different caliper and maybe different wheel spacers. I think I have a caliper as well.

And I also have some 04' 48mm tube/axle combos from a yz.