Sign in to follow this  

Broke my right shoulder collar bone, what should i do ?

I wanted an advise on what should be done abt my collar bone, I broke it last week and the orthopedic suggested that it is a borderline case. Its the right shoulder collarbone and has been cleanly broken in the middle I believe with a displacemt of approx 2 cms or more. Should i go for surgery for this or wait it out for a week or two to see how it heals by itself and then see if surgery is required for this.  Also since its the right shoulder and i am right handed I was wondering if leting it heal by itself would create too many complications ?  FYI I am 27 years old.

collar bone scan 2.PNG

collar bone scan 1.PNG

I would repair that one as the displacement is massive. But I have experience of at least 1000 of these. If I wasn't so facile with these I would treat it nonsurgically and hope the patient dodges the bullet.

• Like 1

So, this happened around 6 days back. What should I do ? should I wait for a week more to see how its healing once the muscle spasms and clotting subsides before making the call about the surgery. What are the chances that this will heal naturally and not cause a big issue in term of arm movements and day to day functioning and excercising and stuff. I am not a sportsperson nor does my job involve any manual labour.

So, this happened around 6 days back. What should I do ? should I wait for a week more to see how its healing once the muscle spasms and clotting subsides before making the call about the surgery. What are the chances that this will heal naturally and not cause a big issue in term of arm movements and day to day functioning and excercising and stuff. I am not a sportsperson nor does my job involve any manual labour.

without surgery you will have a huge bump there on your shoulder, you may be able to google it. Disunion is always possible the non surgical route. I had my surgery done back in Feb with no

Complications, was fully operational in 2-2.5 months. ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1407561437.996870.jpg

This is my break, it doesn't show the large bone fragment that they found when they opened me up, yours sure looks worse than mine though.

Contact DrMark. Fly to Houston. Get fixed and back riding in 6 weeks.

I tried the "wait for it to heal" route. Makes no sense when you can just fix it and be done.

Fix that asap....fix it and be done but also in the long run if you dont fix it your bound to have a shoulder much different than the other and I guess you have a good chance of losing some strength permanently.  Mine wasn't that bad and it took me all of two minutes to decide on surgery.

I'm sure you've made a decision but you should

have that repaired. Mine was half that distance

and the Dr. was 50/50 on cutting me.

When it comes to real injuries do not f*k around.

Go see a top notch Dr. in the field of speciality for your injury.

If it's expensive just grit your teeth and pay up.