Spark plug well filled with water

I recently took possession of a buddy's drz that had been neglected. It's sat out uncovered in the rain for almost a year. I'm now trying to get it in good running condition so I can sell it and hopefully turn a small profit. Only thing I really have left to address is that the drain for the spark plug well is clogged with gunk and the well is filled with water. What should I do about this? I tried using a piece of wire but it's still not draining. Hopefully I won't have to pull the head off. Should I be worried about the water doing any damage? I'm assuming the threads are aluminum and won't rust, and the oil looked fine when I dropped it so I'm assuming it hasn't made it's way into the combustion chamber. Any ideas?

Edited by Gsxrstuntdrz

I recently took possession of a buddy's drz that had been neglected. It's say out uncovered in the rain for almost a year. I'm now trying to get it in good running condition so I can sell it and hopefully turn a small profit. Only thing I really have left to address is that the drain for the spark plug well is clogged with gunk and the well is filled with water. What should I do about this? I tried using a piece of wire but it's still not draining. Hopefully I won't have to pull the head off. Should I be worried about the water doing any damage? I'm assuming the threads are aluminum and won't rust, and the oil looked fine when I dropped it so I'm assuming it hasn't made it's way into the combustion chamber. Any ideas?

Turn the crank over with the sparkplug removed. If the crank wont turn pull the head and inspect. 

Edited by Jamesp20

Turn the crank over with the sparkplug removed. If the crank wont turn pull the head and inspect.

If I pull the spark plug all that water is going to go straight into the combustion chamber

There's a small hole on the side of the cylinder. Blow compressed air into that after you remove the spark plug boot.

The drain is clogged with gunk, I've tried poking at it with wire and squirting the hell out of it with brake clean. I'll try compressed air but doubt it will dislodge whatever is blocking it Edited by Gsxrstuntdrz

If I pull the spark plug all that water is going to go straight into the combustion chamber

The drain is clogged with gunk, I've tried poking at it with wire and squirting the hell out of it with brake clean. I'll try compressed air but doubt it will dislodge whatever is blocking it

That's okay as far as I know. Turning the crank will expel the water out through the spark plug seat. 

The drain is clogged with gunk, I've tried poking at it with wire and squirting the hell out of it with brake clean. I'll try compressed air but doubt it will dislodge whatever is blocking it

Compressed air from a can, or from a compressor?

Remove the gas tank, cover the air box hole, ignition coil & wires under the gas tank with plastic bags. Use an adapter that turns your water hose into a water pic blaster. Spray this jet stream of water into the hole. Then use compressed air to dry up and push out the remaining water. DONT REMOVE THE SPARK PLUG AT ANY TIME until all the dirt and water is removed. It will just fall into the cylinder.

• Like 1

That's okay as far as I know. Turning the crank will expel the water out through the spark plug seat. 

It's not ok, never a good idea to let water into the cylinder for any reason!  

• Like 1

I recently took possession of a buddy's drz that had been neglected. It's sat out uncovered in the rain for almost a year. I'm now trying to get it in good running condition so I can sell it and hopefully turn a small profit. Only thing I really have left to address is that the drain for the spark plug well is clogged with gunk and the well is filled with water. What should I do about this? I tried using a piece of wire but it's still not draining. Hopefully I won't have to pull the head off. Should I be worried about the water doing any damage? I'm assuming the threads are aluminum and won't rust, and the oil looked fine when I dropped it so I'm assuming it hasn't made it's way into the combustion chamber. Any ideas?

You could try a small drill bit (by hand) if you have one with enough reach.

I believe the drain is curved like a "J" shape and the blockage is at the end in the well. Don't think that would work. Will try again with some thicker gauge wire

An air nozzle, with a piece of small rubber hose on the end, hooked up to an air compressor and put right up to the drain hole might yield results.  Good luck!

• Like 1

I believe the drain is curved like a "J" shape and the blockage is at the end in the well. Don't think that would work. Will try again with some thicker gauge wire

I was thinking along the lines of how far along the obstruction was and the drill bits ability to break up and pull out debris out rather than compacting it.

I'm sure some persistence and compressed air will yield results.

• Like 1

connnect  a small piece of rag in a wire then dip it into the water then squeeze out the water ,repeat the process

until almost all of the  water is removed....thats what I did when I power sprayed my bike with the spark plug boot off :banghead:

Edited by guitarmusiczone
  • Like 1