Sign in to follow this  

SAG problem. intersting !

I know , I know , but sag !! What was throwing me off when trying to set may sag was , to measure a straight up , and down or a little forward like the mag`s say to do , because then you are matching the wheel travel. Well when doing it like the mag`s say my bike was handling bad , and the turning was off. So I went back to straight up and down sag measuring , , and it made all the diff. In the world. There is 2 to 4 mm diff. If you do it forward or up , and down. AND my static sag was way off to 40 mm forward , 30mm up , and down. I thought that I was going to have to buy a diff. rear spring , but the spring that is on the bike was the right one. Just my experience on it , yours may not be the same !! 

Ideally, you measure sag along the tangent of the arc the axle travels. Sag is a percentage of total available travel. But even then, it is just a starting point to get it setup. Some like more static, less race, some like nearly no static and so on and on. There is not hard and fast rule that states 'you must have X'. Which is why suspension tuning is called a black art.

I'd rather balance six two barrel Webers on a '63 Berlinetta than do suspension. At least the carbs are straightforward, follow a procedure and it is right, no guess or experimenting.

In the end its finding the front to back balance thats right for your riding style.

Just get the sag number close to where you think it should be, then dial it in from there by making adjustments. Number in the magazines are just starting points.