Sign in to follow this  

'94 Xr600r problems

Finally made an account after using this site for a few years, now I really need some help. I got my first pig last week for $1800 here in Michigan, figured it was a good deal. It runs like a top an starts first kick everytime, an if it don't its my fault. It just has a couple issues.

1- after changing rear tire to street oriented back brakes don't work at speed, but will when pushed back an forth

2- this is the main reason I'm here, I looked on the motor and it looks like the PO used a type of silicone to seal a couple things, see pictures. It looks like the hose is collapsed but still able to flow. Idk what is in the tube but I would figure this significantly reduces any flow of anything like that...unless its just for wires.

3- sometimes when I kick start the bike it will make a quick crack sound when I kick her over.

Any ideas guys? Would really appreciate it for any advice. Thank you in advance

P.S.- I did notice the front lower motor mount is on as tight as it will go but the spacers kinda just run loose between the frame and motor mounts, could this cause issues? I tightened all mounts down as much as I could and it seemed to really improve the ride and it quit bouncing as much

1407518128715.jpg

1407518156695.jpg

1407518173519.jpg

1407518186479.jpg

Welcome aboard. That "hose" is electrical. the goo around it looks like it was done in a sloppy manner, but probably not an issue. May not even need to be on there since the actual wires pass through a rubber block into the motor, if I remember correct. Most likely any leakage is where that rubber block is sandwiched between the case covers. It looks minor though.

If your kick over cracking sound is the noise I am thinking of, it's probably not an issue either, sometimes you get teeth noise from the kick ratchet not being lined up perfectly when it's kicked.

I am not clear what you mean by the brake being pushed back and forth. I would make sure you got the brake caliper back on correctly when you put the tire back on, make sure the caliper slide pins are moving freely and lubed, check that it has fluid and doesnt need bleeding, and make sure the pedal is adjusted. It should lock up at any speed if you desire....

The motor mount thing is odd sounding. They should be squashed in there and tight. Make sure the bolts are not running out of threads and that the spacers are the correct ones. The motor should not move at all.....

Also get a manual...

http://downloads.hondatech.info/Moto/XR/Honda_XR600R_Service_Manual.zip

Edited by fourstrokin650

Thanks for the info guys, and I probably didn't do something right putting the tire back on, will redo it. But I ment I can push the bike then hit the brake and it stops, just when its at speed it don't like to stop unless I use the front brakes. Before I tightened a couple mounts the bike was making a horrible clacking sound, you could hear it anytime, but even better when the clutch is pulled in and the engine noise goes down. Doesn't seem to do it as much tho. The front mount that isn't tight could be rusted in the treads I suppose, but whoever worked on this bike did a poor job sadly...hopefully the engines good tho, that's all I care about.

Hope this helps...This is what it is supposed to look like.

ME

Stator 037.JPGStator 038.JPG

Edited by kmequint

FYI...The wires in question are for the pickup coil.  If the grommet is leaking, you can always take the right engine cover off and apply a little Honda bond around the grommet, reinstall.  You may also require a new cover gasket. 

ME

Edited by kmequint

If you do take the cover off be careful not to loose the small short pipe that runs between the cover and oil pump.  The diamond in the attached picture.

ME

2011-10-17 (19)a.jpg