Sign in to follow this  

Idaho Riding in Idaho, near Middleton?

My wife wants to go visit some family in Middleton, and I am thinking about dragging my bike along if there is any good riding nearby (I am a slower novice rider). 

I have a couple of questions:

1. Does ID recognize my WA registration, or would I need to buy ID ORV tags?

2. Are there any other passes required (similar to our Discover Pass)?

3. Is it going to be too dusty to ride in mid-August?

Thanks.

1. Does ID recognize my WA registration, or would I need to buy ID ORV tags?

From what I understand, if you are plated in another state, you have 30 days of riding to fit in before you need to register in ID. If you aren't plated, you should stop by a DMV office (or participating MC shop? Not sure if they still do that...) and get an off road sticker for $12. An additional $3 gets you a 5-year plate that allows you to ride on most roads. (Excludes state and federal highways.) Bring your title or current registration to the DMV.

2. Are there any other passes required (similar to our Discover Pass)?

Nope.

3. Is it going to be too dusty to ride in mid-August?

You are riding alone, right? Dust shouldn't be an issue. Or should I say, you shouldn't let dust be an issue. :D

Not sure about the riding in that area; I'm from up north. But I'd definitely bring the bike.

Not sure about the riding in that area; I'm from up north. But I'd definitely bring the bike.

Not plated, so I guess I will have to look into it more.  

ID is good with WA ORV registration. You need a $12 ID park & recreation sticker if you will be riding 7 consecutive days or longer.

Your WA off-road sticker is good for 30 days in Idaho.  If you have no off-road sticker, You can buy an ID off-road sticker at most dealers or DMV.  The money goes directly to the trails, so a good deal.  The Restricted Use License Plate allows you to ride county and city roads, as well as all BLM and FS roads, but you can only buy this plate from DMV and you will need to bring a title.  It only costs $3 and is good for 7 years.

Any of you guys have any ideas on where to ride?  Not looking for anything too complicated, as I will be riding solo.  I am willing to travel a bit if needed.

Any of you guys have any ideas on where to ride?  Not looking for anything too complicated, as I will be riding solo.  I am willing to travel a bit if needed.

This time of year all the good riding is in the mountains, which are mostly pretty complicated.

If you start pretty early and don't mind some dirt roads there is plenty to entertain yourself on the south side of the snake river (look up Murphy on a map, it's probably 30-40 mins from middleton). I went out there in august once, but only because I was just getting over a broken femur 8 weeks before, so we rode on some trails up to silver city. that's kind of a cool ride and not terribly difficult, but I'm not sure how easy it is to navigate. If you're the sort of person that gets lost easily, you may want to hook up with someone local. If you have a decent sense of direction and/or a gps and good judgement, you can just have at it.

I have a GPS and mostly as long as I know where the truck is, I can find my way around.

I will be riding on probably Thursday or Friday of next week, so I suspect it would be difficult to find someone who isn't working.  Also, I can't commit to a time yet, as I'm not completely sure what our other plans are.

A couple other options would be to go ride Little Gem in Emmett.. a riding park..

or go toward Horseshoe Bend (thru Emmett) and find HArris Road (307).. drive up it

a ways and unload.. lots of back roads up there to play on... may be a little cooler than

going south.. or just go north of Middleton and find the backroads there and play...

Looks like we will probably also be visiting some family in Rexburg for part of our trip.  Perhaps I will get to ride in that area also.

Looks like we will probably also be visiting some family in Rexburg for part of our trip. Perhaps I will get to ride in that area also.

There is some good riding south east of Rexburg by the Kelly Canyon ski area. That won't take you to long to get to from rexburg maybe 30 min maybe 45 if you don't really know where you are going.

That Kelly Canyon area looks like it has some nice trails. I only had an hour or so but I got to do some exploring.

Just got home a bit ago from Little Gem, which was less than 20 minutes from where we're staying. Great views from the tops of the hills, and easy enough to ride solo.