Sign in to follow this  

TMR Engines

Anyone use TMR for engine mods? I hear he knows the deal on these case reed motors?  I was thinking a big bore stroker from him.. around 2300 when its all said and done the full treatment..

That is bored stroked balanced crank ported and head modded however you want.

Sir, before you spend that kind of money rebuilding an engine, why don't you look into making your current bike a CR500AF. I'd bet you could do it for the same amount of money, or less, and have a MUCH faster bike when you are done.

A bored/stroked TMR CR250 would be better a engine for moto, imo.

• Like 2

A bored/stroked TMR CR250 would be better a engine for moto, imo.

Agreed!

Anyone use TMR for engine mods? I hear he knows the deal on these case reed motors?  I was thinking a big bore stroker from him.. around 2300 when its all said and done the full treatment..

That is bored stroked balanced crank ported and head modded however you want.

My cylinder and head are there now.  I can have a report for you on the big bore and head modded for 60/40 race/pump fuel in the next few weeks. So far he's been great to work with. 

I'd love to hear about it. I have ridden a cr500 af and they are not my cup of tea, I just wanted something torquier without loosing the broadness of a 250.

Have you considered PC ?   Not sure what they charge now, but I paid $350 back in 06 on an 03 cyl. & head (cut for race fuel) mods.  Thru the years I've had the opportunity to ride on some fast 250 2t bikes & have yet to ride on a faster one than the 03 with PC mods.   For that price I don't think you'll be disappointed with the performance gains it adds thru the rpm range.     

Edited by H4L

cr500 are over rated. theyre very heavy, most dont rev well, vibrate like crazy, dont have as much power as most people think and like any engine with no powervalve its nearly impossible to get decent power up top without losing quit a bit down low. you can compromise with a mediocre top end and still retain some of the low rpm power but if you go for the whole enchilada on top your low end falls in the toilet

Have you considered PC ?   Not sure what they charge now, but I paid $350 back in 06 on an 03 cyl. & head (cut for race fuel) mods.  Thru the years I've had the opportunity to ride on some fast 250 2t bikes & have yet to ride on a faster one than the 03 with PC mods.   For that price I don't think you'll be disappointed with the performance gains it adds thru the rpm range.     

They are more expensive than TMR.  Not saying they aren't worth it I would certainly trust them with my parts and I do go label whore with their logo all over my stuff lol.  For what it's worth Tom has a similar approach to modding this bike which is NOT to cut the base of the cylinder down.  

Edited by MotoGuido

They are more expensive than TMR.  Not saying they aren't worth it I would certainly trust them with my parts and I do go label whore with their logo all over my stuff lol.  For what it's worth Tom has a similar approach to modding this bike which is NOT to cut the base of the cylinder down.  

They are less than $350 ?   I considered TMR in 03 when I first picked up my 03 & recall reading an mx article where he did cut the base & they commented about the powerband being turned upside down.   With his mods the power was shifted from low-mid & they mentioned it lost some topend it had in stock form.   He must of changed the way he mods these motors since that article came out.        

cr500 are over rated. theyre very heavy, most dont rev well, vibrate like crazy, dont have as much power as most people think and like any engine with no powervalve its nearly impossible to get decent power up top without losing quit a bit down low. you can compromise with a mediocre top end and still retain some of the low rpm power but if you go for the whole enchilada on top your low end falls in the toilet

This has been somewhat my experience so far with an 02AF500 I recently picked up, But in my case I didn't buy it up for mx purposes.  I was at Pismo Beach last week & regret not taking the bike as I feel it would have been in it's elements. 

Edited by H4L

They are less than $350 ? I considered TMR in 03 when I first picked up my 03 & recall reading an mx article where he did cut the base & they commented about the powerband being turned upside down. With his mods the power was shifted from low-mid & they mentioned it lost some topend it had in stock form. He must of changed the way he mods these motors since that article came out.

They quoted me a few hundred more for the same work he's doing to mine. They were a chunk more across the board what they quoted me. I called and got prices from Varner, PC, TMR, also Millenium technologies etc. mine needed replated so that could have been part of the discrepancy there. Varner's prices were the highest quote I got iirc. I'm also going 265cc with mine Edited by MotoGuido

i like the 500 in sand but for anything else ill take my 300. every bit of 15lb lighter, doesnt vibrate your hands off, broader powerband

They quoted me a few hundred more for the same work he's doing to mine. They were a chunk more across the board what they quoted me. I called and got prices from Varner, PC, TMR, also Millenium technologies etc. mine needed replated so that could have been part of the discrepancy there. Varner's prices were the highest quote I got iirc. I'm also going 265cc with mine

Also considered Varner, but he had an mx review back in 04 about cutting the cyl. & loosing some topend as well.   Interested in hearing a ride report with the TMR mods.