Jump to content

Washington Gifford Pinchot Advice

Recommended Posts

I am looking to get a little help and advice about Gifford Pinchot riding trails. I have found several threads about trails in this area but also some conflicting information on license plate requirements.

 

A small group of us is looking to do a day loop in this area. A few of the bikes will be larger (xr600) so we are not necessarily trying to find super technical trails

None of the bikes will have a license plate.

 

 

 

What would people recommend as a good loop with great scenery that can be riden in 1 day and doesnt require a plate?

 

Thanks for your help.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you are looking for non technical trails stay away from Gifford. 

 

The blue lake loop would be the closest thing to non technical riding that would get you a loop, no plate requirement, and some views. 

 

That said I really hope the guys on the XR600's are good riders or it will be a long ride. 

 

Later,

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'll second Jake's comment on Gifford and add some regarding the Blue Lake trails:

 

The Yazoo trail has a 2-3ft high boulder stair step that could be a obstacle for a novice rider or on a heavy bike.  It steps down going south. 

 

The climb to Hamilton Butte has some switchbacks and climbs that require skill to clean.

 

And the most difficult of the Blue Lake trails is the Bishop Ridge trail, a steep climb with switchbacks, stair steps, and lots of rock debris on the trail. 

 

The Valley Trail, and the others around Blue Lake are the easiest but could be a challenge for novice riders and/or heavy bikes.  Bring water and food.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've ridden both ways up/down Bishop Ridge...on my DR 650. Not what I'd call fun, but very doable providing your fitness can handle the constant wrestling match. I'd not recommend it to someone out of shape, even if they have the bike handling skills.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm aware that none of the trails are easy. I was hoping for some advice like take these 3 trail numbers in this particular direction to minimize difficulties.

 

Most of the trail information I find doesn't list which direction is best for the trails.

 

Anyone have specific trails that are a "must ride" in Gifford?

 

What about no license plates is that an issue?

 

Thanks again.

 

 

Also thank you Chuck that information is helpful.

Edited by tpaulsen

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here is a link to trail descriptions:

http://www.fs.usda.gov/activity/giffordpinchot/recreation/ohv/?recid=31178&actid=93

 

GPNF use to have an online OHV document the contained rating for the trails but today I can't find it on the Gif website.  I have a copy but I don't know how to post a Word table.

The rating system was like that used for alpine skiing;

 

               Easiest  green circle

               Moderate blue square

                Difficult black diamind

               Most Difficult  double black diamond

 

Most trails are rated single or double black diamond.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm aware that none of the trails are easy. I was hoping for some advice like take these 3 trail numbers in this particular direction to minimize difficulties.

 

Most of the trail information I find doesn't list which direction is best for the trails.

 

Anyone have specific trails that are a "must ride" in Gifford?

 

What about no license plates is that an issue?

 

Thanks again.

 

 

Also thank you Chuck that information is helpful.

 

No Plate means risk of ticket..... Loops in the Blue Lake area are possible without riding roads. Loops in the High Lakes / Boundary and Dark Meadows/ Juniper & Langille areas will need a plate.

 

Travel north to south on Langille. Only real hero's go the other way....

Travel south to north on Juniper -although going the other way is possible :devil:. there is a section that is very difficult called the Devils Staircase.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No Plate means risk of ticket..... Loops in the Blue Lake area are possible without riding roads. Loops in the High Lakes / Boundary and Dark Meadows/ Juniper & Langille areas will need a plate.

 

Travel north to south on Langille. Only real hero's go the other way....

Travel south to north on Juniper -although going the other way is possible :devil:. there is a section that is very difficult called the Devils Staircase.

I'll add:

Yazoo south bound because of the one stair step (I've ridden it both ways).

Bishop Ridge west bound (down) rather than up, although I have never ridden it down. :facepalm:

Tongue Mountains, I've worked on Tongue Mountain Trail and the steepness causes fast deterioration of the trail bed so it is indeed easier, and better for the trail, to go down.

The easiest are the Valley Trail and others around Blue Lake, along with the "Easiest" rated trails below.

 

I converted the table to text and removed the graphics, this is from several years ago so may not be accurate for today's trail conditions but it provides a comparison of trails that when combined with other info in this thread can help you plan a route.

 

Trail Descriptions for the Blue Lake, High Lakes and Dark Divide Area

The following descriptions are written with the experienced trail bike rider in mind.  Many of the following descriptions apply to more than one trail.  Many have narrow trail width on steep side slopes, difficult short sections, wet areas, fragile switchbacks and fallen trees.  The trails are generally open and brush is not a problem.  The trail miles shown are approximate

 

Rating Criteria

A rating of “easy” does not mean the trail would be easy for a beginner but rather for an experienced rider.  The rating does not indicate the relative hazard or risk for that trail.  All the trails pose a risk of injury if ridden too fast or carelessly.  Even a trail rated “easiest” may have steep side slopes.  The rating only refers to the difficulty of riding the trail itself. 

 

 

Number   Rating       Description

1          Double Black Diamond          Boundary - The trail varies in difficulty from more to most difficult.  There are steep hill climbs in either direction.

The scenery is outstanding.  The trail follows a jagged ridge between Mount St.  Helens and Mt.  Adams.  The center section from Elk Pass to Council Lake is open to trail bikes.  The section from Elk Pass to Langile Ridge is extremely difficult in places, with sections of the trail on virtual cliff and unrideable switchbacks, where bikes must be walked.The trail from Langile east to Council lake is most difficult in sections.  The trail is often blocked by snow well into July or even August.  There are numerous stops for looking at the landscape in all directions.  26 miles.Side trail off Trail

 

1A –.  The Trail 1A, Yellowjacket trail is a more difficult trail out to Road 2810. 

 

2               Double Black Diamond     Summit Prairie – A challenging trail in either direction.  It is one of the main trails for access to the Boundary trail from the Lewis River valley.  Several tough hill climbs, extremely narrow sections, brushy, wet areas and tree root sections.  Fallen trees are always a problem early in the season.  The trail is usually open by mid July, after volunteers have logged it out.  9 miles.

 

3          Black Diamond           Craggy Peak - A good trail to get to the Boundary trail from the Lewis River valley.  The lower section is the Wright Meadow (80) trail.  There are several good camping spots in the Wright Meadow area.  Road 93, off the 25 road is the way to get to this area.

Outstanding scenic views.  The trail goes across open, high alpine hillsides, full of wildflowers.  Extremely narrow sections.  Popular with archery elk hunters in the fall.  Watch out for other trail users.  4-1/2 miles.

 

17             Moderate  Stabler - A nice trail through generally open forest.

 

18             Moderate  Table Mountain - The trail winds up a ridge, through large old growth trees.  There are several switchbacks and the trail crosses the 9091 road 4 times.  The upper section goes by several meadows.

 

30             Moderate  Spencer Meadow - An easy trail that is somewhat brushy on the east side.

 

80             Moderate - Black Diamond           Wright Meadow - The trail leads from the 90 Road up to the Craggy Peak trail.  Volunteers have done a lot of tread work to make the trail easier to ride than in the past.  The trail is notable for numerous roots.  It is still easier than Trail 2.  The trail continues past Wright Meadow and connects to the 2559-100 road.  This section is very steep and most difficult.  5.0 miles.

 

110           Black Diamond      Green Mountain - A fun trail to ride in either direction for experienced riders.  There are sections of narrow trail on steep side slopes, which may bother riders new to this type of terrain.  The trail on the east side of the mountain is popular with horse riders from Keenes horse camp.  6.5 miles.

                                  

 

115           Easiest      Spring Creek - The trail connects the 110 with the 116.  Please only ride this section.  The section north has been extended to a new horse camp and completes a loop system for horse riders.   Heavy horse use.  About 1 mile.

 

116           Black Diamond      High Lakes - A most difficult and unique trail.  It goes around very unusual lava formations.  There are several steep, rocky switchbacks and extremely narrow sections.  The trail passes by several small, picturesque lakes, with small campgrounds.  3.2 miles.

 

118           Moderate  Hamilton Buttes - The trail has been reconstructed for trail bikes to a “more difficult” standard.  Near the top, the trail forks.  One fork leads to a viewpoint at the top of one of the buttes.  7.9miles.

 

119           Black Diamond      Blue Lake Butte - Sections of the trail have been rebuilt to a “more difficult” standard.  There are sections, which are still rather narrow.  While the Yozoo trail is more scenic and therefore gets more use, this trail is fun and worth working into a loop ride.  3.5 miles.

 

259      Double Black Diamond          Langille Ridge - Dramatic and breathtaking scenery.  A very technical trail to ride.  Ride north to south only, thereby riding (walking) several extremely steep switchbacks downhill.  Unrideable in the other direction.   About 9 miles up the 28 road from the Cispus, the trail begins at the end of the 2809, a short road down to the river.  The road bridge washed out and now the stream must be ridden across.  Follow the narrow trail down to the stream.  The crossing can be quite deep during high stream runoff times.  Across the stream, the trail is on the closed road for about three miles to the official start of the trail.  Along the ridge top the slightest error could be tragic.  Heavy brush and large boulders in one section.  Sharp, steep switchbacks, extremely difficult to get around, almost impossible and terribly risky to ride around.   Allow plenty of time to ride the trail.  By reading this you can't say you were not warned.  This trail can be ridden in combination with Juniper Ridge in the same counterclockwise direction.  It would be risky to use the rough trail use as an “escape” route because fallen trees may block the trail.  Check at the Ranger station on the access.  Look for Mountain Goats when stopped to look at the scenery.   They are easy to spot, being very white and standing out in the shady rock cliffs.  They are generally standing still or sitting on a ledge.   Safe from Cougars on the cliffs, they exhibit no fear of trail riders.  8.0 miles.

 

 

261      Double Black Diamond          Juniper Ridge - Wonderful views from high alpine ridges.  While not as tough as the Langille Ridge trail, it is still “most difficult”.  Snow blocks these high elevation trails late into the summer.  There are several steep switchbacks.  While these have been improved recently, it is still recommended only to ride the south to north, starting off the Boundary trail.  This saves the switchbacks from getting rutted out.  When riding to the north, stop and look back and up the rocky cliffs for Mountain Goats sitting in the shade.  The female Goats will stand below the kids to stop them if they fall.  13.0 miles.

 

 

262           Black Diamond      Sunrise Peak - A short challenging trail which connects to a Road 2324.  It is recommended only to ride this trail down to the road.  This is the main access to the high ridge area for the occasional hiker.  Be courteous if other users are encountered.  1.4 miles.

 

263      Black Diamond           Dark Meadows - There are several stream crossings at the bottom.  There are several steep switchbacks about midway.  A the midway point is a connector trail to the 2335 road.  Along this road is an old section of the Dark Creek trail that leads back up to the Boundary trail.  It starts in a tight corner.  This road has been permanently closed due to an unsafe bridge at the 23 road.  3.0 miles.

 

 

265      Double Black Diamond          East Canyon Ridge - A dramatic trail to experience, classified as “most difficult”.  The upper section of the trail traverses the edge of the uplifted ridge.  So one side is a slope and the other side is a cliff.  There is a section of gravel road separating the upper and lower sections.  Watch closely for the start of the trail at either end of the gravel road.  At the south end of the gravel road, the trail begins 100’ down a spur road.  The trail at north end comes out on the 2322 Road paralleling the Cispus River.  Watch closely for the start of the trail.  5.9miles.

 

 

270      Moderate - Black Diamond          Valley Trail - Most difficult for quads.  It is the earliest trail to be open as the snow melts.  Combined with the Blue Lake Ridge trail, it makes a 22 mile loop for quads.  The trail west of Blue Lake campground is only wide enough for trail bikes.  The trail has become more difficult with exposed roots and rocks.  Several great viewpoints and small waterfalls.  The trail parallels the road and is generally in the deep forest with large trees.  The trail is also popular with mountain bike riders.  The trail should not be ridden fast because of children on quads and minis, mountain bike riders and just a lot of riders in general are on the trail, including horse riders.  16.7 miles

 

 

271      Black Diamond           Blue Lake Ridge - The trail has become more difficult for bikes and most difficult for quads.  Watch out for other riders, horses and hikers.  The trail up to the lake is very popular.  The fishing at the lake can be good because there is no road access.  This trail in combination with the Valley trail, makes a twenty-three mile loop for trail bikes and quads.  11.9 miles

 

 

272      Black Diamond           Bishop Ridge – A fine trail.  Difficult but rewarding.  Some of the most narrow and steep sections have been rebuilt but there is still plenty of challenge through some rocky sections.  There are several large boulders to ride up and over going uphill.  It is more easily ridden coming down.  Outstanding scenery from high ridge viewpoints.  8.7 miles.

 

 

273           Moderate  Wobbly Creek - A “more difficult” trail, but can be ridden by less experienced riders if ridden slowly.  Many fun dips and turns.  A short side trail leads to Wobbly Lake.  The view at the lake is very picturesque.  Unusual, open scenery as the trail winds down the canyon.  2.9 miles.

 

275           Easiest      Krause Ridge - An easy, general winding trail.  A good climbing section.  Popular with mountain bike riders.  4.4 miles.

 

276           Moderate  Yozoo - Outstanding, breathtaking scenery on a grand scale.  5.0 miles.

 

283           Double Black Diamond     Rough - Numerous switchbacks.  1.7 miles

 

293           Moderate  High Bridge - A short connection from Juniper Ridge #261 to the 29 Road.  The trail weaves thru the deep forest.  Very nice.  1.5 miles. 

 

294           Black Diamond      Tongue Mountain - The lower section of the Juniper Ridge trail.  Deep forest.  Fun, giant “whoops” near the 2904 Road.  Best ridden top to bottom, along with Juniper.  A series of large "root drops" would be extremely difficult going up.  Popular with hikers headed for Tongue Mountain.  6.2 miles.

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 8/13/2014 at 3:01 PM, Chuck. said:

I'll add:

Yazoo south bound because of the one stair step (I've ridden it both ways).

Bishop Ridge west bound (down) rather than up, although I have never ridden it down. :facepalm:

Tongue Mountains, I've worked on Tongue Mountain Trail and the steepness causes fast deterioration of the trail bed so it is indeed easier, and better for the trail, to go down.

The easiest are the Valley Trail and others around Blue Lake, along with the "Easiest" rated trails below.

 

I converted the table to text and removed the graphics, this is from several years ago so may not be accurate for today's trail conditions but it provides a comparison of trails that when combined with other info in this thread can help you plan a route.

 

Trail Descriptions for the Blue Lake, High Lakes and Dark Divide Area

The following descriptions are written with the experienced trail bike rider in mind.  Many of the following descriptions apply to more than one trail.  Many have narrow trail width on steep side slopes, difficult short sections, wet areas, fragile switchbacks and fallen trees.  The trails are generally open and brush is not a problem.  The trail miles shown are approximate

 

Rating Criteria

A rating of “easy” does not mean the trail would be easy for a beginner but rather for an experienced rider.  The rating does not indicate the relative hazard or risk for that trail.  All the trails pose a risk of injury if ridden too fast or carelessly.  Even a trail rated “easiest” may have steep side slopes.  The rating only refers to the difficulty of riding the trail itself. 

 

 

Number   Rating       Description

1          Double Black Diamond          Boundary - The trail varies in difficulty from more to most difficult.  There are steep hill climbs in either direction.

The scenery is outstanding.  The trail follows a jagged ridge between Mount St.  Helens and Mt.  Adams.  The center section from Elk Pass to Council Lake is open to trail bikes.  The section from Elk Pass to Langile Ridge is extremely difficult in places, with sections of the trail on virtual cliff and unrideable switchbacks, where bikes must be walked.The trail from Langile east to Council lake is most difficult in sections.  The trail is often blocked by snow well into July or even August.  There are numerous stops for looking at the landscape in all directions.  26 miles.Side trail off Trail

 

1A –.  The Trail 1A, Yellowjacket trail is a more difficult trail out to Road 2810. 

 

2               Double Black Diamond     Summit Prairie – A challenging trail in either direction.  It is one of the main trails for access to the Boundary trail from the Lewis River valley.  Several tough hill climbs, extremely narrow sections, brushy, wet areas and tree root sections.  Fallen trees are always a problem early in the season.  The trail is usually open by mid July, after volunteers have logged it out.  9 miles.

 

3          Black Diamond           Craggy Peak - A good trail to get to the Boundary trail from the Lewis River valley.  The lower section is the Wright Meadow (80) trail.  There are several good camping spots in the Wright Meadow area.  Road 93, off the 25 road is the way to get to this area.

Outstanding scenic views.  The trail goes across open, high alpine hillsides, full of wildflowers.  Extremely narrow sections.  Popular with archery elk hunters in the fall.  Watch out for other trail users.  4-1/2 miles.

 

17             Moderate  Stabler - A nice trail through generally open forest.

 

18             Moderate  Table Mountain - The trail winds up a ridge, through large old growth trees.  There are several switchbacks and the trail crosses the 9091 road 4 times.  The upper section goes by several meadows.

 

30             Moderate  Spencer Meadow - An easy trail that is somewhat brushy on the east side.

 

80             Moderate - Black Diamond           Wright Meadow - The trail leads from the 90 Road up to the Craggy Peak trail.  Volunteers have done a lot of tread work to make the trail easier to ride than in the past.  The trail is notable for numerous roots.  It is still easier than Trail 2.  The trail continues past Wright Meadow and connects to the 2559-100 road.  This section is very steep and most difficult.  5.0 miles.

 

110           Black Diamond      Green Mountain - A fun trail to ride in either direction for experienced riders.  There are sections of narrow trail on steep side slopes, which may bother riders new to this type of terrain.  The trail on the east side of the mountain is popular with horse riders from Keenes horse camp.  6.5 miles.

                                  

 

115           Easiest      Spring Creek - The trail connects the 110 with the 116.  Please only ride this section.  The section north has been extended to a new horse camp and completes a loop system for horse riders.   Heavy horse use.  About 1 mile.

 

116           Black Diamond      High Lakes - A most difficult and unique trail.  It goes around very unusual lava formations.  There are several steep, rocky switchbacks and extremely narrow sections.  The trail passes by several small, picturesque lakes, with small campgrounds.  3.2 miles.

 

118           Moderate  Hamilton Buttes - The trail has been reconstructed for trail bikes to a “more difficult” standard.  Near the top, the trail forks.  One fork leads to a viewpoint at the top of one of the buttes.  7.9miles.

 

119           Black Diamond      Blue Lake Butte - Sections of the trail have been rebuilt to a “more difficult” standard.  There are sections, which are still rather narrow.  While the Yozoo trail is more scenic and therefore gets more use, this trail is fun and worth working into a loop ride.  3.5 miles.

 

259      Double Black Diamond          Langille Ridge - Dramatic and breathtaking scenery.  A very technical trail to ride.  Ride north to south only, thereby riding (walking) several extremely steep switchbacks downhill.  Unrideable in the other direction.   About 9 miles up the 28 road from the Cispus, the trail begins at the end of the 2809, a short road down to the river.  The road bridge washed out and now the stream must be ridden across.  Follow the narrow trail down to the stream.  The crossing can be quite deep during high stream runoff times.  Across the stream, the trail is on the closed road for about three miles to the official start of the trail.  Along the ridge top the slightest error could be tragic.  Heavy brush and large boulders in one section.  Sharp, steep switchbacks, extremely difficult to get around, almost impossible and terribly risky to ride around.   Allow plenty of time to ride the trail.  By reading this you can't say you were not warned.  This trail can be ridden in combination with Juniper Ridge in the same counterclockwise direction.  It would be risky to use the rough trail use as an “escape” route because fallen trees may block the trail.  Check at the Ranger station on the access.  Look for Mountain Goats when stopped to look at the scenery.   They are easy to spot, being very white and standing out in the shady rock cliffs.  They are generally standing still or sitting on a ledge.   Safe from Cougars on the cliffs, they exhibit no fear of trail riders.  8.0 miles.

 

 

261      Double Black Diamond          Juniper Ridge - Wonderful views from high alpine ridges.  While not as tough as the Langille Ridge trail, it is still “most difficult”.  Snow blocks these high elevation trails late into the summer.  There are several steep switchbacks.  While these have been improved recently, it is still recommended only to ride the south to north, starting off the Boundary trail.  This saves the switchbacks from getting rutted out.  When riding to the north, stop and look back and up the rocky cliffs for Mountain Goats sitting in the shade.  The female Goats will stand below the kids to stop them if they fall.  13.0 miles.

 

 

262           Black Diamond      Sunrise Peak - A short challenging trail which connects to a Road 2324.  It is recommended only to ride this trail down to the road.  This is the main access to the high ridge area for the occasional hiker.  Be courteous if other users are encountered.  1.4 miles.

 

263      Black Diamond           Dark Meadows - There are several stream crossings at the bottom.  There are several steep switchbacks about midway.  A the midway point is a connector trail to the 2335 road.  Along this road is an old section of the Dark Creek trail that leads back up to the Boundary trail.  It starts in a tight corner.  This road has been permanently closed due to an unsafe bridge at the 23 road.  3.0 miles.

 

 

265      Double Black Diamond          East Canyon Ridge - A dramatic trail to experience, classified as “most difficult”.  The upper section of the trail traverses the edge of the uplifted ridge.  So one side is a slope and the other side is a cliff.  There is a section of gravel road separating the upper and lower sections.  Watch closely for the start of the trail at either end of the gravel road.  At the south end of the gravel road, the trail begins 100’ down a spur road.  The trail at north end comes out on the 2322 Road paralleling the Cispus River.  Watch closely for the start of the trail.  5.9miles.

 

 

270      Moderate - Black Diamond          Valley Trail - Most difficult for quads.  It is the earliest trail to be open as the snow melts.  Combined with the Blue Lake Ridge trail, it makes a 22 mile loop for quads.  The trail west of Blue Lake campground is only wide enough for trail bikes.  The trail has become more difficult with exposed roots and rocks.  Several great viewpoints and small waterfalls.  The trail parallels the road and is generally in the deep forest with large trees.  The trail is also popular with mountain bike riders.  The trail should not be ridden fast because of children on quads and minis, mountain bike riders and just a lot of riders in general are on the trail, including horse riders.  16.7 miles

 

 

271      Black Diamond           Blue Lake Ridge - The trail has become more difficult for bikes and most difficult for quads.  Watch out for other riders, horses and hikers.  The trail up to the lake is very popular.  The fishing at the lake can be good because there is no road access.  This trail in combination with the Valley trail, makes a twenty-three mile loop for trail bikes and quads.  11.9 miles

 

 

272      Black Diamond           Bishop Ridge – A fine trail.  Difficult but rewarding.  Some of the most narrow and steep sections have been rebuilt but there is still plenty of challenge through some rocky sections.  There are several large boulders to ride up and over going uphill.  It is more easily ridden coming down.  Outstanding scenery from high ridge viewpoints.  8.7 miles.

 

 

273           Moderate  Wobbly Creek - A “more difficult” trail, but can be ridden by less experienced riders if ridden slowly.  Many fun dips and turns.  A short side trail leads to Wobbly Lake.  The view at the lake is very picturesque.  Unusual, open scenery as the trail winds down the canyon.  2.9 miles.

 

275           Easiest      Krause Ridge - An easy, general winding trail.  A good climbing section.  Popular with mountain bike riders.  4.4 miles.

 

276           Moderate  Yozoo - Outstanding, breathtaking scenery on a grand scale.  5.0 miles.

 

283           Double Black Diamond     Rough - Numerous switchbacks.  1.7 miles

 

293           Moderate  High Bridge - A short connection from Juniper Ridge #261 to the 29 Road.  The trail weaves thru the deep forest.  Very nice.  1.5 miles. 

 

294           Black Diamond      Tongue Mountain - The lower section of the Juniper Ridge trail.  Deep forest.  Fun, giant “whoops” near the 2904 Road.  Best ridden top to bottom, along with Juniper.  A series of large "root drops" would be extremely difficult going up.  Popular with hikers headed for Tongue Mountain.  6.2 miles.

This should be a sticky. Doesn't 116 have the river crossing?

Edited by Vsack
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Vsack said:

This should be a sticky

Except the info is 5 years old, and more current info is available on the GPNF website. Current MVUM: https://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOCUMENTS/fseprd490922.pdf

Unfortunately I couldn't find a current list of trail difficulty ratings but I doubt they have changed much from 2014.  Maybe the FS has stopped publishing those, which is too bad because they provided valuable info for route planning.  Okanogan-Wenatchee National Forest also used the same rating system. If you also alpine ski you will recognize and appreciate the rating system.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have yet to figure out WA state trail ratings. Seem to be all over the place.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, HHey said:

I have yet to figure out WA state trail ratings. Seem to be all over the place.

Yeah, Greek Creek is the poster child for that. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
I have yet to figure out WA state trail ratings. Seem to be all over the place.
In Oregon they are relative to the individual area. So a Green/Easy trail at one area may be equivalent to a Black/Difficult trail at another. Would be better if they were standardized.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Yeah, Greek Creek is the poster child for that. 


Good example. Greek is a workout, but nothing insanely challenging about it. No sections require multiple tries or picking the right line. You could pretty much lug up the whole thing in 1st if you wanted. Unless I’m forgetting something.

McNutt double blacks.. I am going to remember for a while. Ha!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, HHey said:

 


Good example. Greek is a workout, but nothing insanely challenging about it. No sections require multiple tries or picking the right line. You could pretty much lug up the whole thing in 1st if you wanted. Unless I’m forgetting something.

McNutt double blacks.. I am going to remember for a while. Ha!
 

 

I seem to remember the rut being deep enough to grab pegs. I try to carry enough speed to rail up the sides of the rut when necessary. 1st gear I think would be a slog/huff/puff in places.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Slackkinhard said:

I seem to remember the rut being deep enough to grab pegs. I try to carry enough speed to rail up the sides of the rut when necessary. 1st gear I think would be a slog/huff/puff in places.

If you are trying to get out the "ez" way though it's up the other side.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, KaToomTime said:

If you are trying to get out the "ez" way though it's up the other side.

haha I dont think I am ever gonna go the other way just a pita

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Reply with:


×
×
  • Create New...