Sign in to follow this  

O5 crf450r street tard, stage 3 can?

I have a 05 crf450r street tard. So far I have JD jet kit, Yoshi slip on and a 13.5 to 1 hi comp piston, stainless steel kibble white intake valves and stock exhaust. I'm wondering if a stage 3 hot cams would be good and would it put more stress on the motor or less? Will it help the hi comp piston or will I have to run race fuel. Will I have t rejet the bike at all??

You will be definitely re-jetting. With the stage 3, be ready for a low end loss of power. I run a builder series cam from them with very similar lifts and durations of the stage 3, and it made the top end pull very hard, so I ride my engine higher in the rpms instead of lugging it in lower rpms.

Anytime you make more power, regardless of what component it is, you are putting more "stress" on the engine. But when dealing with cams, you have to consider what the limits of the valve springs are in terms of max lift, and if they will prevent valve float. Don't let that scare you away though, Even the highest lift hotcams are still on the relatively mellow side and can last quite a while.

Stage 3 has a pretty big overlap IIRC, so almost definitely won't need race fuel with that piston.

I'd recommend the stage 2 unless you are planning on porting the head and/or going up in compression or doing a big bore, youll keep a better bottom end pull, and the top end will be awesome, that's always a good combo with the 13.5 on an otherwise stock motor.

Well I heard from another post Eddie made 56 rwhp with a o7 450r woth mrd exhaust, 13.5 to 1 and stage 3 hot cams and from what I hear the stage 3 is good for supermoto ...... I'm just trying to figure out the positives and negatives. How far would the jetting he off and would I go leaner or richer. Also doesn't a hi comp piston benefit from a can because it prevents pre detonation some how ???? Or why do they compliment each other

The Stage 3 hotcam works great if you race mx or super-moto and constantly ride against the rev limiter.. you will lose some bottom-end pull and mid range performance with the stage 3 setup. However, a 13:5:1 piston, MRD exhaust, and port/polish work will make-up for some lost power and pull on the bottom-end. There is some trade-off's with the stage 3.

It all depends how you race/ride. 

Just my 2 cents.. 

I would install an aftermarket rod and a 14.5 piston with that stage 3 cam. The rod in a street app is almost mandatory... Braaap.

Edited by Eddie8v

Well I don't know what stage the wc003 can is.... I guess it would be like a 1 or 2... But regardless I just redid the tip end so I'm not going to drop more money in it... It's got a 13.5 in it already