Sign in to follow this  

2001 Cr80 has welded up oil drain hole- any way to fix this?

So basically, the previous owner didn't tell me about this when buying the bike -.- , when I did a proper look over a week later, the oil drain plug had been welded up for some unknown reason. Maybe because he threaded it? It makes changing oil a pain in the a**. I've had to change the oil through the oil check bolt and tipping the bike on it's side, which isn't practical at all. My question is: how can i fix this or get around it - is there a way to get a self tapping bolt, or tap a new one through the weld? Thanks

Max

He said it's already welded shut.  Yes, drill and tap.  To do it right, the engine should be disassembled first.  Otherwise, you will need to flush many times to get shavings out before running it.

In the mean time, does the CR80 have a quick access clutch cover like the big bikes?  I've seen people with drain plug probs remove the clutch cover to drain the oil.  Much easier than using the check bolt.

Did not think about a quick access clutch cover, and no there isn't one, would probably be worth getting one considering. I'll have a look around and see what i can find , cheers FGR01 :)

Max