Sign in to follow this  

2001 Cr80r clutch not disengaging - need help!

Right, when you start the bike and warm it up , and put it into first whilst holding in the clutch, the bike will slowly crawl forward even with clutch fully in? Also, when riding, I can't click it back into neutral when the bike is running, but when it's off I can. Is all this harmful for the bike or can it still be ridden? I heard I should try different transmission oil? Thanks 

Max

Check to see if the clutch basket has grooves worn in it from the previous plates. If there are grooves they wiil not let the clutch plates seperate.

Cheers for the replies, would a new clutch basket solve it? along with new clutch plates?

If there are groves worn into the fingers of the basket, yes a new one would bring back the original clutch feel and proper action

Alright thanks all - also one more question I have - Is riding with a slightly bad right crank seal bad for the engine? apart from the plug?

I would bet your clutch basket has groves in it....best case scenario is you need a clutch kit.  Worst case you need a new basket and a clutch kit.  If you need to replace the basket you will need a clutch holder tool.

Also, before you tear it apart you should check and adjust the clutch cable.  Sounds like your problem is beyond this but you should start here.  Also if your cable is close to the service limit order a new one with your other new parts.

So I should really just order a whole complete new clutch assembly then :) Cheers Fenmore

So I should really just order a whole complete new clutch assembly then :) Cheers Fenmore

I would take it apart and see for sure what's going on before ordering anything.....