Sign in to follow this  

1992 RM250 in mid to late 90's frame?

Just wondering if anyone knows if the 89-92 engine would swap into a slightly newer model frame. I know the mounts look like they are in the same location. Just hoping to see of anyone knows for sure. Also, wondering about getting headlights on this. I've heard Ricky Stator has two 30w leads. Maybe I can run that in series and get 60w? I'll probably start a different thread on that though.

The 89-92 crankcases are the same shape as 93-95. The cylinder head to frame mount on the 89-92 bikes is at the front of the head. The 93-95 has that mount to the rear, meaning the frames changed between 92 and 93.

The 89-90 cylinder heads use a conventional headgasket, the 91-95 use O rings and the head stud pattern differs from the 89-90. Swapping the head from a 91-92 engine for a 93-95 head should allow it to bolt up to a 93-95 frame using standard parts. Exhaust head pipe diameter at the cylinder can be 50 or 54mm depending on year.

93-95 bikes are easily identifiable as they have large rad gaurds that cover the tank.

That said the 89-95 models are the same generation of bike so there may be no great benefit in such a conversion....

I am not up to speed about the 96 onwards models, but do know there were significant changes from the previous generation.

Awesome! Thanks man! I think I should just stick with what I have. Likely the only thing worth the time of modding is the suspension. That's easy enough to figure out. I did end up finding a lighting stator for the bike. So I'm pretty happy about that. I'm debating on getting it road legal when the build is all said and done.