Snapped Kevlar Bead - Safe to ride?

Hey All, I've never actually snapped the kevlar band in a dirtbike tire. Now I have. 

I was wrenching the tire extra hard and all the sudden there was a loud pop and release of tension. I actually thought I broke my tire spoon. Anyways, with the tire inflated, there is a 9" circumference length where the bead is an extra .25" more exposed from the rim lip where the section of kevlar snapped.

Can I ride this as long as I stay out of 5th/6th? 

Hey All, I've never actually snapped the kevlar band in a dirtbike tire. Now I have. 

I was wrenching the tire extra hard and all the sudden there was a loud pop and release of tension. I actually thought I broke my tire spoon. Anyways, with the tire inflated, there is a 9" circumference length where the bead is an extra .25" more exposed from the rim lip where the section of kevlar snapped.

Can I ride this as long as I stay out of 5th/6th? 

No.  Replace the tire.

Edited by Faux Sho

• 2 weeks later...

Then why did you bother to ask if you were going to ignore the answers?

I kinda did this same thing about the bike I just bought used. The seller found a hairline crack in the mig weld of the aluminum frame, I asked waft everyone thinks.

Well, everyone said RUN DO NOT WALK. But I called Dewayne Jones my suspension guy, he can fix it and tig weld it way stronger than it was before.

"Well why ask us if you're gonna just buy the bike and have it fixed?!?!" Bc I wanted TTalk's opinion

• Like 2

Rode trails 5 and 6 in Forrest Hill. Held up in the rocks and roots of the technical climbs.

My buddy saw how good of traction it had, we spent 20 minutes on the trail trying to snap his bead.

Ive Getting calls from Dunlop asking about my secrets. I'll sell it for $120 for first buyer. It's custom. Chunked rubber and all.

Edited by ruphianh
  • Like 2

"...I was wrenching the tire extra hard and all the sudden there was a loud pop and release of tension..."

My buddy saw how good of traction it had, we spent 20 minutes on the trail trying to snap his bead.

So, you spent 20 minutes giving your buddy an extra hard rim job to make him pop and relieve his tension?    You California guys are really something!

Edited by Still Bill
  • Like 5

Hey guys, moving past the childish homosexual comments,:

So the bead finally came off the rim while riding today. I was going up a real loose and Rocky uphill and caught some traction on a step up and the bike felt like it lost some power and got loose. I gave it more throttle to get to the top of the hill and checked the bike at the top. Low and behold 50% of the sprocket side bead was off the rim(the side I snapped the bead). It turns out it's not Kevlar that runs the bead but in fact steel wires. They were frayed and hanging out.

Anyways, I aired down the tube, jumped up and down on the tire to re seat on the rim and limped back half a mile to the truck.

All in all this is what I learned:

1.No catastrophic violent failures like many thought.

2. I did not need to make a claim on my life insurance like some had thought.

3. I still got at least 60-75 miles out of the $85 dollar tire.

4. When it did come unseated, I would compare it to no more than a tire disengaging from the rim after a flat tube.

My learned lesson, RIDE IT TILL IT FAILS.

Edited by ruphianh
  • Like 1