Sign in to follow this  

Where to start?!

So, after many years out of the saddle, I decided to buy a dual sport bike. Budget being a primary concern, I bought a 2000 DRZ400s with a bit under 10K miles on it.  Seems to be in pretty good shape, albeit ugly as sin. Some dumbass got crazy on the plastics with a camo rattle can kit, and didn't bother  to do things like prep, remove plastics, etc. So over-spray everywhere.  Stripped it down, and became good buds  with citrus strip paint stripper.  Worked like a champ and plastics practically as new. Check the valves and they are in perfect adjustment (towards upper end of limit on ex and in). Also bike came with IMS desert 4g tank and nice aluminum skid plate. Mostly stock other than that.

After reading all the FAQ, stickys, and searching every issue under the sun...I feel like I'm about $1000 worth of parts, and 2-3 months of hard labor in the garage before this bike is ready to go. Actually pretty overwhelmed. I have limited time and money for this project, but will keep plugging away on it.Which brings me back to the title of this thread...where to start?!

I searched for an order of importance thread, but failed to find something relatively concrete. Obviously a subjective question, as different people have different needs and desires for their rides.  Below are some things I've done, and then some things I think need to be done sooner than later. I should point out I will  begin with fire roads and light off road. I have a degenerative retinal disease and tech trails would not be a good idea for me. Won't be doing mud bogging and mainly dry weather riding. That might help in ascertaining a good order for procedures. I'm not focusing on aesthetic or "fun" mods here (like tail lights, etc.) but more longevity and reliability fixes and mods. Any help is super appreciated!

Things already done:

- Changed oil. Went synth blend maxima 10w40, and understand full synth 20w50 is a better choice. Changed filter, but dealer didn't have O-rings.  I will be going short interval on this one, and getting TT oil change kit soon (maybe 500 miles). Did replace crush rings on both plugs.

- Followed coolant system "fix" on TT and got that all flushed and done.
- Check valve adjustment,  didn't need adjusting (thank God). Top end of engine could be eaten off of.

Things I need help with on order of importance:
- Swing arm check and lube.

- Steering head check and lube.
- All the Loctite fixes (which ones are most important, there seem to be quite a few).
- MCCT mod.

- Jetting and 3x3

- ???

If this were your bike, to be ridden as described above, where would you start?

Thanks!

Doug

ugly drz.jpg

• Like 2

So, after many years out of the saddle, I decided to buy a dual sport bike. Budget being a primary concern, I bought a 2000 DRZ400s with a bit under 10K miles on it.  Seems to be in pretty good shape, albeit ugly as sin. Some dumbass got crazy on the plastics with a camo rattle can kit, and didn't bother  to do things like prep, remove plastics, etc. So over-spray everywhere.  Stripped it down, and became good buds  with citrus strip paint stripper.  Worked like a champ and plastics practically as new. Check the valves and they are in perfect adjustment (towards upper end of limit on ex and in). Also bike came with IMS desert 4g tank and nice aluminum skid plate. Mostly stock other than that.

After reading all the FAQ, stickys, and searching every issue under the sun...I feel like I'm about $1000 worth of parts, and 2-3 months of hard labor in the garage before this bike is ready to go. Actually pretty overwhelmed. I have limited time and money for this project, but will keep plugging away on it.Which brings me back to the title of this thread...where to start?!

I searched for an order of importance thread, but failed to find something relatively concrete. Obviously a subjective question, as different people have different needs and desires for their rides.  Below are some things I've done, and then some things I think need to be done sooner than later. I should point out I will  begin with fire roads and light off road. I have a degenerative retinal disease and tech trails would not be a good idea for me. Won't be doing mud bogging and mainly dry weather riding. That might help in ascertaining a good order for procedures. I'm not focusing on aesthetic or "fun" mods here (like tail lights, etc.) but more longevity and reliability fixes and mods. Any help is super appreciated!

Things already done:

- Changed oil. Went synth blend maxima 10w40, and understand full synth 20w50 is a better choice. Changed filter, but dealer didn't have O-rings.  I will be going short interval on this one, and getting TT oil change kit soon (maybe 500 miles). Did replace crush rings on both plugs.

- Followed coolant system "fix" on TT and got that all flushed and done.

- Check valve adjustment,  didn't need adjusting (thank God). Top end of engine could be eaten off of.

Things I need help with on order of importance:

- Swing arm check and lube.

- Steering head check and lube.

- All the Loctite fixes (which ones are most important, there seem to be quite a few).

- MCCT mod.

- Jetting and 3x3

- ???

If this were your bike, to be ridden as described above, where would you start?

Thanks!

Doug

Doug, I think you're on the right track.....you've already done great stuff, and the "to do" is also in the right direction. I think I would do my 3x3 and jetting 1st, just so you can open it up and have a little fun after all the work. Then I'd do all the loctite fixes, grease up the head stem, then do the same to the swing arm....then MCCT. If you like what happens when you do the 3x3 and jetting, then you might want to go after a full system exhaust, something that breathes better and gives a little more Umphff, along with a more aggressive sound. The rest is your call.....by then you will have read so much here that your head will spin with all the mods. Dirt riding is an awful lot of fun even on a stock bike.....most of the time you can't use what power you have......yeh, I know, this coming from someone who has done almost all of the mods, but honestly, the bike should fill your needs just the way it is. Ride it for a while and see what you think.........and in the mean time, start saving your money because "moditis" is not only catchy, it's friggin' expensive!!!!!!  :lol: :lol: :lol:

• Like 1

Yeah, I liked the idea of keeping the engine not so lean, and hot, by rejetting and doing the 3x3. The extra throttle response, etc., is a bonus!  What rejet kit did you use? I don't want to waste time just doing larger stock jets...since I'm ripping into it, might as well do it right.  The FAQ notes the dyno and JD kits are both good, but which is most complete and best for otherwise stock setup (stock carb, stock exhaust)?  Thanks for the input, I appreciate it!!

Doug, I think you are worrying too much about it! Your heading in the right direction. Just ride the piss out of it and have fun! 

• Like 1

Yeah, I liked the idea of keeping the engine not so lean, and hot, by rejetting and doing the 3x3. The extra throttle response, etc., is a bonus!  What rejet kit did you use? I don't want to waste time just doing larger stock jets...since I'm ripping into it, might as well do it right.  The FAQ notes the dyno and JD kits are both good, but which is most complete and best for otherwise stock setup (stock carb, stock exhaust)?  Thanks for the input, I appreciate it!!

The JD jet kit would be you're best bet.

• Like 1

Case guards!

Ooops, yeh +1 to case guards....a must for offroad stuff.  Nice catch eviltwinskippy  :thumbsup:

Yes, case guards! I'm already ordering those, and didn't include that in my initial post as it's such a cheap and easy fix. I wish all the mods and fixes were a 5 minute glue and stick job!  Thanks for pointing that out...also grinding down the back of shifter for same reason.

• Like 2

For what you are planning on riding I would just run it as is. Add case savers and bark busters to protect from crashes. Do some searches on greasing the stem and swingarm. Not hard if you can wrench a bit. They probably need it and use waterproof grease (Belray is good).

• Like 1