Sign in to follow this  

Dual sport tire question from a newbie

I read that tire sizes like 70/100x19 convert to 2.75" high, 2.75" wide for a 19" rim. Would this tire then be the same as a 2.75x19 tire? I ask because I'm looking for a dual sport tire for my TTR125 that will fit. The only exactly sized ones still available are the Kenda Trakmasters which are knobby and I was looking for something closer to 50/50 road-offroad, if not more road. By searching for 2.75x19 tires I get a lot more options. According to my manual, the stock rims are 19" tall x 1.4" wide on the front and 16" tall x 1.6" wide on the back. The stock rear tire is 90/100-16, so that would be a 3.5x16 I guess. Anyone who's done it before, please help :)

The way a tyre size works is this:

The first number is the WIDTH of the tyre tread - the part that touches the ground, from edge to edge.

The second number is a percentage of the first number, in HEIGHT - so if you have a 150/70, the tyre's 150mm wide and 70% of that, high: 105mm.

The next number is the diameter of the wheel it will fit, in inches (why they still use inches is beyond me!)

The letters denote the speed rating that the tyre will safely maintain for a given periuod - forget what it is just now, but it's not just a quick squirt - it is a sustained speed. R means radial - it's a more hi-tech version of how the tyre is actually made.

So, your 70/100 19 tells us that yes, the tyre is about 2.75 inches wide, 100%, so also 2.75 inches high - and goes on a 19 inch rim; your 90/100 16 is 3.5 inches wide and high, on a 16-inch rim.

For real dual-sport tyures in these sizes, you might be in some trouble: I'd suggest looking at some of the Eastern European tyre makers - a lot of their bikes have smaller wheels and tyres: try Heidenau - I've been using theeir K60s (though in rather bigger sizes) and they give fantastic mileage, are quite cheap and work very well on both dirt roads and the street.

Good luck!